In becoming the first man to win three golds in the same speed skating event at the Olympic Winter Games, the 31-year-old Kramer produced a typically flawless performance to post a new Olympic record of 6:09.76 and finish almost two seconds clear of Canada's Ted-Jan Bloemen.
Kramer won the 5,000 meters at the Pyeongchang Olympics on Sunday for his third straight gold medal over the distance, becoming the first man to achieve that streak.
"It wasn't the ideal race where you get into a flow and just fly to the finish", he said.
Now that is what we call a photo finish. "It doesn't always happen and it didn't happen today but I made the most out of it and I got everything out of myself that I had". I'm a little bit disappointed that I didn't have more to give today.More news: Conte: It's been a 'disaster' convincing Chelsea board to sign players
"I was just trying to catch that guy in front of me".
Asked if he knew Kramer would beat his time, Bloemen said: "Yes, because I knew it wasn't a great race".
"I think my secret is that I'm really enjoying the sport and I really love what I'm doing", he said.
He is determined to do his best in Thursday's race here, where he will come up against defending Olympic champion Bergsma and current world record holder Ted-Jan Bloemen of Canada, who finished with silver in the 5,000m on Sunday.More news: More than 200 civilians dead after bloody week in Syria
The 31-year-old, who won silver in the 5,000m at the Games in Turin in 2006 as well as gold in Vancouver and Sochi, started well and settled into a steady rhythm as he glided to victory in Gangneung.
Sven Kramer won his fourth career gold and eighth medal overall, placing him among the greats of the Winter Olympics. "I've won a lot at the Olympics, but I've lost a lot as well".
The Dutch-born Bloemen holds world records in the 5,000 (6.01.86) and 10,000 (12:36.30), erasing marks set by Kramer.
The Olympic 10,000 metres is set for February 15 with the team pursuit February 21. Skating last as the favorite, he knew what time to chase for gold.More news: Amid Opposition boycott, Jaya's portrait unveiled in TN Assembly hall
- United Nations chief urges dialogue in talks with North Korean official
- UP: Student beaten to death after minor argument
- Researchers develop new malleable e-skin self-healable, recyclable
- Pence `Encouraged' by Talks With South Korea's Moon at Olympics
- Turnover: Cavaliers overhaul roster with stunning series of trades
- Instagram are testing out Snapchat-style screenshot notifications
- Zeid urges worldwide action as violence soars in Syria
- Air India Flight to Ahmedabad Aborts Takeoff After Fire Warning
- Banks inquiry's first focus on lending
- Gophers ladies crush Penn State, begin homestand on excessive be aware