She joined South Korean President Moon Jae-in, his wife and VIPs in their dignitary box to watch the opening ceremony.
If it takes place, the visit would be the first meeting of Korean leaders since Roh Moo-hyun visited Kim Jong-il in Pyongyang in October 2007 for a summit regarding nuclear issues.More news: Here's everything awesome from Paul Pierce's jersey retirement ceremony
Tensions soared a year ago as the North staged a series of nuclear and missile tests in violation of United Nations resolutions, while Mr Kim and US President Donald Trump traded colourful insults and threats of war.
Some 800 anti-North Korean protesters marched and staged street performances in front of the Deoksu Palace in central Seoul, condemning the North Korean leader and President Moon Jae-in, who they regard as too soft on the North.
South Korean activists burned the North's flag on Sunday in a protest against the two countries' efforts to improve relations during the Winter Olympics. "But he stayed there the entire time. and talked to Moon and Abe and their spouses, and the North Koreans sat in the back and didn't talk to anybody, and that image is telling".More news: Rand Paul Triggers Overnight Government Shutdown
U.S. President Donald Trump and the North Korean leadership traded insults and threats of nuclear war as tensions rose, with Trump repeatedly dismissing the prospect or value of talks with North Korea.
A combined Korean women's hockey team took to the ice Saturday for the first time in Olympic history, and although Switzerland shut the Koreans out 8-0, the historical significance of the game was not lost.
Following the meeting, Pence press secretary Alyssa Farah said in a statement, "The Vice President is grateful that President Moon reaffirmed his strong commitment to the global maximum pressure campaign and for his support for continued sanctions".More news: The US Government Shut Down… Again
- 5 dead after 'horrific murder spree' in Johnson County
- North Korea stages show of force with new missiles during parade
- Pratt & Whitney engine issue could ground some planes
- Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Arsenal: Arsenal's player ratings
- Trump's Bold Memo Snub Risks High-Stakes Standoff with Dems, Feds,
- With extraordinary political optics, Winter Olympics begin
- Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin
- France presses Russian Federation over Syria as more die in besieged rebel area
- 49ers LB Reuben Foster Arrested For Domestic Violence
- Trump aide's abuse scandal bruises White House