EA has confirmed the high-profile sequel sold 9 million copies from November 12 until December 31, when it had expected to shift up to 12 million copies. That fiscal year would be the timeframe EA is projecting, though not necessarily defining as exactly when Respawn's Star Wars title may be released.
The third installment of the successful franchise is set to release later this week and is expected to make up for the underwhelming response to the "Star Wars" game, which was launched during the holiday season.More news: Frampton pokes fun at dramatics at Khan press event
Sales of Star Wars Battlefront II are also down compared to the original.
Electronic Arts has announced during its quarterly earnings conference call that Star Wars Battlefront 2 sold less than one million copies, which is less than what EA had projected sales to reach.More news: Klopp confirms Liverpool will not replace Coutinho
Blake Jorgensen, the chief financial officer for the company, noted that the company hopes that the game will sell an additional one to three million copies within the first three months of 2018. Sales at EA's high-margin digital business rose almost 14 percent to $780 million as more gamers bought their titles online instead of purchasing physical copies from retail stores. Apparently, those new experiences will include microtransactions, with Jorgensen confirming they'll be returning to the game "in the next few months."
Wilson called the game a learning opportunity, designed with the intent of keeping the community together, adding content long after launch.More news: Theresa May on China trip to boost 'golden era' of trade ties
"We never meant to build an experience that could be seen as unfair or lacking clear progression, so we removed the feature that was taking away from what fans were telling us was an otherwise great game", Wilson said.
- IOC President Wishes Successful Winter Olympics in South Korea
- Blake Griffin Issues Statement On Clippers-Pistons Trade
- High-profile immigration activist battles to set aside NJ fraud conviction
- Dundee Trailer Features Every Famous Australian Actor (Down) Under The Sun
- Disney is sending Mary Poppins on a Jungle Cruise
- Interrupted sleep could be an early sign of Alzheimer's disease, finds study
- OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Beta 3 Brings iPhone X-like Navigation Gesture Control
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Wear Each Other on Magazine Cover
- Amazon's Alexa can now send text messages
- Haley: Cracking Down On Iran's Missiles Could Keep Trump In Nuclear Deal