Ahead of Trump's speech, Republicans and Democrats were deeply divided over immigration, which has been linked to congressional efforts to pass a spending bill. The speech was still being changed and adjusted as of Sunday, said the officials.
The address, held before a joint session of Congress, is meant to give the president the opportunity to speak directly to the American people about his vision for the next year, and also give a summation of what has happened in the past.
SOTU Preview: Farmers Grade Trump On First Year of Presidency
The ad, from the Not One Penny coalition, splices together short segments of videos of Trump's speeches in order to argue that the new law helps the rich and hurts the middle class.
"You don't have to take credit for everything", Lehrman said.
The President will also touch on his proposal to provide a path to citizenship to more than 1 million undocumented immigrants, including the recipients of the expiring Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.More news: UK Government's mass surveillance deemed unlawful by courts
Trump will argue that struggling USA communities, particularly immigrant communities, will be aided by immigration polices that "focus on the best interests of American workers and American families".
Trump will likely use the State of the Union address as a chance to set the narrative that the continuation of positive news for the economy is due to his administration.
- Rep. John Lewis of Georgia: "At this junction, I do not plan to attend the State of the Union", Lewis said on MSNBC earlier this month after Trump's comments on African nations and Haiti.
The White House also wants $25 billion for Trump's proposed Southern border wall and other border security measures, along with an end to the visa lottery system and changes to policies by which immigrants legally in the US are allowed to sponsor extended family members.More news: Kevin Love reportedly out 6-8 weeks with a hand injury
Democratic Rep. Joseph Kennedy outside the Capitol in Washington, on March 29, 2017.
Against the backdrop of the spending fight, Republicans and Democrats are also wrestling with the future of some 700,000 young immigrants living in the United States illegally. Will he return to the inflammatory rhetoric of his inauguration speech previous year, or will he try to strike a more moderate note?
"Tomorrow night, of course, is President Trump's first State of the Union address", Colbert quipped during his opening monologue on Late Show. This speech is especially important for Trump and his administration, as it comes just a week before another potential government shutdown.More news: Beckham toasts new MLS team in Miami
Trump also was expected to use the speech to talk about the fate of the US detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- Los Angeles Clippers Blake Griffin traded to Detroit Pistons, reports ESPN
- Prince Alwaleed bin Talal returns back to work with clapping
- Keshav Prasad Maurya slams Bareilly DM for FB post on Kasganj violence
- Home prices surge to new high, up 6.2% in November
- Wall Street succumbs to rising bond yields, sinking health stocks
- Authorities Arrest Second Anti-Headscarf Demonstrator In Iran
- Ronda Rousey Signs Contract With WWE
- Paul Simon announces "The Farewell Performance"
- Child experts urge Facebook to discontinue its Messenger Kids app
- Arsene Wenger slams Arsenal defender Nacho Monreal after shocking Swansea City defeat