The statement from USCIS says people who have already been granted deportation deferral under DACA can request renewal, but the agency will not accept new requests from people who have never received deferred action before.
Alsup said the administration did not have to accept new DACA applications.
The announcement comes days after a federal judge in California temporarily blocked the Trump administration's efforts to end DACA. "Like the president's meeting with congressional leaders demonstrated, there are many different ideas on how we get there, but our members are committed to working with leadership to fix the problem - beginning with a solution that includes DACA, increased border security, and reducing the backlog in our immigration courts".
Wednesday, the president criticized the judge's decision on Twitter.More news: 'I never said sh*thole, though I did use tough language,' says Trump
Then on Thursday, a bipartisan group of senators presented the president with an agreement on new legislation for immigrants brought to the USA illegally as children. Already about 120 DACA recipients who failed to renew applications by October 5 deadline are losing deportation protections and work permits daily.
Former DACA recipients whose grant expired before that date cannot request a renewal, but they can file a new request, the agency said.
Trump said in September that he was ending the Obama-era program.
The cost to file a renewal application will be the same as before, $495.More news: How Have Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FCX) Earnings Estimates Changed?
The Trump administration announced in September that it would eliminate DACA, which protects people who were illegally brought to the United States as children - so-called Dreamers - from being deported.
Salinas she can't take a permanent teaching position because her work permit would expire in the middle of next year.
Judge Alsup, however, ruled that the plaintiffs were likely to succeed that in their claims that Trump's decision to end the program was "arbitrary and capricious" and based on a faulty legal premise.More news: Panagora Asset Management Inc. Cuts Stake in Portland General Electric Company (POR)
- Insider Trading at First Real Estate Investment Trust of NJ?
- Novak Djokovic dominates Dominic Thiem in first match since Wimbledon
- Do we really need an Alexa-powered toilet?
- Iran calls fresh U.S. sanctions illegal, hostile
- Dua Lipa to perform in Abu Dhabi
- Dabo Swinney reveals first-round prospect Clelin Ferrell, others coming back
- Patriots Heading To Record Seventh Straight AFC Championship Game
- Ryan's TD pass gives Falcons 10-6 lead
- CES 2018: Ford to study interaction with self-driving cars
- PM Modi will break protocol, to receive Netanyahu at airport