The statement from USCIS says people who have already been granted deportation deferral under DACA can request renewal, but the agency will not accept new requests from people who have never received deferred action before.
Alsup said the administration did not have to accept new DACA applications.
The announcement comes days after a federal judge in California temporarily blocked the Trump administration's efforts to end DACA. "Like the president's meeting with congressional leaders demonstrated, there are many different ideas on how we get there, but our members are committed to working with leadership to fix the problem - beginning with a solution that includes DACA, increased border security, and reducing the backlog in our immigration courts".
Wednesday, the president criticized the judge's decision on Twitter.More news: Card Factory (CARD) Price Target Lowered to GBX 240 at Liberum Capital
Then on Thursday, a bipartisan group of senators presented the president with an agreement on new legislation for immigrants brought to the USA illegally as children. Already about 120 DACA recipients who failed to renew applications by October 5 deadline are losing deportation protections and work permits daily.
Former DACA recipients whose grant expired before that date cannot request a renewal, but they can file a new request, the agency said.
Trump said in September that he was ending the Obama-era program.
The cost to file a renewal application will be the same as before, $495.More news: Do we really need an Alexa-powered toilet?
The Trump administration announced in September that it would eliminate DACA, which protects people who were illegally brought to the United States as children - so-called Dreamers - from being deported.
Salinas she can't take a permanent teaching position because her work permit would expire in the middle of next year.
Judge Alsup, however, ruled that the plaintiffs were likely to succeed that in their claims that Trump's decision to end the program was "arbitrary and capricious" and based on a faulty legal premise.More news: Dabo Swinney reveals first-round prospect Clelin Ferrell, others coming back
- Gaza fisherman shot dead by Egyptian army - Palestinians
- Angelina Jolie and Daughters Wear Coordinating Red Carpet Looks
- How Have Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FCX) Earnings Estimates Changed?
- PM Modi will break protocol, to receive Netanyahu at airport
- Sleep not on Jeremy Pruitt's to-do list while rebuilding Tennessee football
- Andy Cole urges Jose Mourinho to break the bank for Alexis Sanchez
- Novak Djokovic dominates Dominic Thiem in first match since Wimbledon
- Patriots Heading To Record Seventh Straight AFC Championship Game
- Golden State edges past Raptors 127-125, DeRozan scores 42
- Fiat Chrysler plans investment of $1 billion in Warren