BT Sports pundit Ferdinand was forced to concede any notion of Sanchez potentially joining his former club United as opposed to City.More news: Courtois slams Chelsea fans after Leicester draw
There was also a feeling within Old Trafford that Arsenal, and manager Arsene Wenger, would not sanction a sale to United and Mourinho due to the embarrassment caused by Robin van Persie's success in a United shirt following his move there in 2012 and, perhaps more significantly, the long-running tension between Mourinho and Wenger. When at his best, the Chile global is one of the most decisive players in the world, and his pace and skill can upset any defensive line.
Jose Mourinho said on Friday: "Sanchez is an Arsenal player, I don't know but probably this weekend he is going to defend Arsenal colours so I don't think it's correct to say things about Alexis Sanchez".More news: Canadiens' Danault to remain hospitalized after shot to head
Then along came Manchester United, who were willing to better City's offer with a £35 million bid of their own or a part exchange involving Armenian playmaker Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
Naturally, United fans loved Ferdinand's tweet and have forgiven him for suggesting Sanchez should join City instead. "These guys want to win, and they want to make money as well".More news: White House doctor declares Trump 'in excellent health'
The Brazilian, who can play wide right or left, is an outstanding technical player though Arsenal recognise he will take time to adapt to the physicality of the Premier League. Incidentally he's won trophies with us. Guardiola's team are more comfortable with the player completing his left 6-months contract at the Emirates to get him for free.
- Got Batteries? Power Outage Stalls CES Gadget Show
- Norwegians decline President Donald Trump's offer to move to US
- China rebuffs report it plans to halt USA treasury purchases
- Turkish passenger plane skids off runway metres away from sea
- Search Efforts Continue After California Mudslides Killed At Least 15
- Bournemouth Fight Back to Shock Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday
- This is final chance on nuclear deal, Trump warns Iran
- Cleveland Cavs Willing To Trade Tristan Thompson
- India were about to play an all-seam attack, reveals R Ashwin
- Paul Merson states his prediction for Tottenham v Everton