More than 1,200 workers taking part in the search and cleanup effort flooded into the town with a population of about 9,000. Officials say a clerical mistake led to the figure of eight being released. The following missing persons were reported by family and friends, and resided in areas that were heavily damaged during the storm and subsequent mudslides.
The founder of a Roman Catholic school and four children were among the victims of a deadly series of Santa Barbara County, California, mudslides that killed 18 people along the coast, officials said.
NeoTract, a maker of devices used in the medical field of urology, launched the page Wednesday, asking for financial support for the family of Cantin's mother, Kim, a marketing executive in the health-care field.
Hours after that posting, authorities confirmed Thursday that Lauren's 49-year-old father, David, was killed.
"I thought I was dead for a minute", the dazed girl, covered in mud, told firefighters before she was taken away in an ambulance.
"I am blessed and I am going to do whatever I can for the rest of the community", she said, "and we all just love the firefighters".More news: Canadiens' Danault to remain hospitalized after shot to head
The order to stay away was another hard turn for those living in the Southern California town that has been subject to repeated evacuation orders in recent weeks, first because of a monster wildfire last month, then because of downpours and mudslides.
Rebecca Riskin, the founder of Riskin Partners, was killed when mudslides ripped through Montecito.
The statement says Riskin was an "exceptional woman" who had exuded strength, grace and elegance.
The number of confirmed fatalities remains at 17.
But with the 101 Freeway clogged by mud and debris, cutting off traffic from Southern California, "There is hardly anybody in here", Johnson lamented.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown on Thursday expanded what was known as the public safety exclusion zone to incorporate most of the town.More news: Norwegians decline President Donald Trump's offer to move to US
"There are families missing, there are people who are missing family members", DeGeneres said.
But warnings for residents to leave had been issued for days before the mudslides through social media, news media and community information emails about the potential for mudflows from the huge wildfire scar in hills above neighborhoods. "Sunday night, Portia and I got a call that we're under mandatory evacuation again with most of the community of Montecito".
They slogged through ooze and poked long holes into the mud on Wednesday as they searched for victims a day after the massive debris flow passed through.
A man has captured the dramatic moment a flash flood hit his home in California as the state endured intense storms and mudslides. They're finding people and bodies.
James and Alice Mitchell, who moved to the Montecito area in 1999, were found dead on a different street from their destroyed home, KSBY reported on Thursday, citing the couple's daughter, Kelly Weimer.More news: Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Revealed in Detroit
- Trump turns to Kelly to quell lawmakers complaints about immigration negotiations
- Sii Investments Inc. WI Grows Holdings in US Bancorp (USB)
- Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX) SVP Sells 8763 Shares of Stock
- Dark Souls Remastered CONFIRMED: Nintendo Switch release revealed in Nintendo Direct
- Alexis signing would be on par with Cantona for Man United
- White House doctor declares Trump 'in excellent health'
- India were about to play an all-seam attack, reveals R Ashwin
- Manchester City's Ilkay Gundogan reveals why he turned down Liverpool transfer
- U.S. disappointed in Myanmar decision on two reporters under OSA
- This is final chance on nuclear deal, Trump warns Iran