A private Wisconsin elementary school is reportedly apologizing for a homework assignment that asked fourth-graders to list "good" reasons for slavery alongside "bad" ones.
In a statement to WESH, the school responded to criticism of the assignment.
Jim Van Dellen, the principal at Our Redeemer Lutheran School issued a formal apology while adding that students shouldn't have bothered to complete the assignment because there are no good reasons for slavery.
Getty Images SHARE
A Wisconsin mom is speaking out after her son was asked for a school assignment to explain why slavery may have been "good".
Trameka Brown-Berry shared the assignment Tuesday on Facebook asking if others found it offensive. "It's highly offensive and insensitive", parent Trameka Brown-Berry said. The 9-year-old also finished the assignment by saying, "I am proud to be black because we are strong and courageous".
Brown Berry seemed extremely relieved with the school's response about her concerns. "The bigotry and anti-diversity feelings in this country lead people to believe it's OK to act like that", Goodson said, USA Today reported. "The goal of the assignment was not, in any way, to have students argue that any slavery is acceptable - a concept that goes against our core values and beliefs about the equality and worth of people of all races", the school said in a statement to local TV station WESH.More news: Card Factory (CARD) Price Target Lowered to GBX 240 at Liberum Capital
"The moral of the story is, the only way to teach our kids to stand up for their rights and respect is to model it", she wrote.
The school took the assignment out of the curriculum, and also plans on discussing sensitive topics with parents ahead of time in the future. "With all of your support I was able to give my child a personal life lesson about how change starts with you".
While Brown-Berry is satisfied with the steps she and the school are taking to ensure that something like this never happens again, she doesn't regret sharing her original post. This did not play well with at least one parent and her son, according to a Fox 6 Now report.More news: Angelina Jolie and Daughters Wear Coordinating Red Carpet Looks
The teacher in question has not been identified and it is unclear if the teacher was disciplined or not.More news: Trump administration resumes accepting DACA renewals
- Passport won't serve as valid address proof anymore, new format soon
- England win toss as Hales returns; Tye debuts for Australia
- How Have Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FCX) Earnings Estimates Changed?
- Mets, Adrian Gonzalez agree to deal
- Federal Agency Returns to Accepting Requests Under DACA
- Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu arrives in India for six-day visit
- Two killed in Lamu Al-Shabaab attack
- Citizenship and Immigration Services return to accepting DACA requests
- Duncan, Democratic House candidates react to Haiti comments
- Magic Johnson Tweets Support for Luke Walton Amid LaVar Ball Criticism