Images from the scene show the aircraft departed the left side of the runway and travelled part of the way down a steep coastal slope, coming to rest a short distance from the sea.More news: Burning Iranian oil tanker sinks in Japanese waters
A commercial airplane that skidded off a runway after landing in northern Turkey dangled precariously off a muddy cliff with its nose only a few feet from the sea.
Footage posted on social media showed panicked passengers being evacuated from the aircraft and another clip appeared to show one of the plane's engines in the water. "There was panic, people shouting, screaming", she told state-run news agency Anadolu.More news: Paul Merson states his prediction for Tottenham v Everton
The private carrier Pegasus Airlines' Boeing 737-800 departed from Ankara late on January 13.
The cause of the incident was not known but an investigation is under way, the Trabzon governor's office said.More news: Alexis signing would be on par with Cantona for Man United
The airport was temporarily shut before reopening on Sunday morning.
- Norwegians decline President Donald Trump's offer to move to US
- Trump turns to Kelly to quell lawmakers complaints about immigration negotiations
- Donald Trump should apologize for remarks: African states
- Sii Investments Inc. WI Grows Holdings in US Bancorp (USB)
- Cleveland Cavs Willing To Trade Tristan Thompson
- BBC pundit has transfer advice for Newcastle United
- U.S. disappointed in Myanmar decision on two reporters under OSA
- Manchester City's Ilkay Gundogan reveals why he turned down Liverpool transfer
- White House doctor declares Trump 'in excellent health'
- This is final chance on nuclear deal, Trump warns Iran