Images from the scene show the aircraft departed the left side of the runway and travelled part of the way down a steep coastal slope, coming to rest a short distance from the sea.More news: Norwegians decline President Donald Trump's offer to move to US
A commercial airplane that skidded off a runway after landing in northern Turkey dangled precariously off a muddy cliff with its nose only a few feet from the sea.
Footage posted on social media showed panicked passengers being evacuated from the aircraft and another clip appeared to show one of the plane's engines in the water. "There was panic, people shouting, screaming", she told state-run news agency Anadolu.More news: Dark Souls Remastered CONFIRMED: Nintendo Switch release revealed in Nintendo Direct
The private carrier Pegasus Airlines' Boeing 737-800 departed from Ankara late on January 13.
The cause of the incident was not known but an investigation is under way, the Trabzon governor's office said.More news: Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX) SVP Sells 8763 Shares of Stock
The airport was temporarily shut before reopening on Sunday morning.
- India were about to play an all-seam attack, reveals R Ashwin
- Manchester City's Ilkay Gundogan reveals why he turned down Liverpool transfer
- Ethiopia to release all political prisoners
- Donald Trump should apologize for remarks: African states
- U.S. disappointed in Myanmar decision on two reporters under OSA
- Brightline's 'higher speed' train service will begin this weekend in Florida
- Paul Merson states his prediction for Tottenham v Everton
- No. 11 Arizona State tops Beavers
- Alexis signing would be on par with Cantona for Man United
- Watford's Abdoulaye Doucoure scores equaliser against Southampton with hand