Marin County, San Mateo County, Santa Cruz County and the cities of San Francisco, Oakland and Imperial Beach also have filed similar lawsuits against oil companies, the motion said. The funds together are worth $189 billion. ExxonMobil and Royal Dutch Shell, charging that the world's five largest publicly traded oil companies are partially responsible for global warming and have known about the consequences of fossil fuels to the environment but have tried to hide it.
However, he acknowledged that the lawsuit against BP, Chevron, Conoco Phillips, Exxon Mobil and Royal Dutch Shell - which says that the companies were aware for years that burning fossil fuels caused climate change, but hid the conclusions of their scientists - could take years to reach a resolution.More news: Democrats Will Attempt to Censure Trump After 'S**thole Countries' Remark
Meanwhile, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and Comptroller Scott Stringer also announced that they would divest the City's five pension funds of roughly $5 billion in fossil fuel investments.
In a media statement, mayor DiBlasio said, "This is a tragedy that was wrought by the fossil-fuel companies, [so] we are going after those who have profited". The authorities also want to redirect the cost of protecting NY from natural disasters to corporations that "have done just about everything to create this existential threat", said Bill de Blasio.More news: Does The Data Supplment Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ:CMCSA) Movement?
A spokesperson for Chevron said the lawsuit will "do nothing to address the serious issue of climate change", The New York Times reported. Under the leadership of the head of state, the federal government is committed to the United States' exit from the Paris climate agreement, rejecting Barack Obama's climate policies and intends to significantly increase the areas where coal, oil and natural gas can be produced. Two Californian counties and one city have filed a lawsuit against 37 fossil fuel companies, including Exxon, which are known to emit unsafe amounts of greenhouse gases.More news: Navy's Ken Niumatalolo Makes Decision On The Arizona Job
- Got Batteries? Power Outage Stalls CES Gadget Show
- Sii Investments Inc. WI Grows Holdings in US Bancorp (USB)
- This is final chance on nuclear deal, Trump warns Iran
- Eagles Hold On Against the Falcons to Reach the NFC Title Game
- 'Veere Di Wedding' Release Gets Pushed By Two Weeks
- Paul Merson states his prediction for Tottenham v Everton
- Wind chill advisory issued for north Georgia mountains
- Watford's Abdoulaye Doucoure scores equaliser against Southampton with hand
- Search Efforts Continue After California Mudslides Killed At Least 15
- Residents evacuated amid Mount Mayon eruption warning