It was only a matter of time before news leaked about where Patricia would end up in 2018.
The fact that Quinn hasn't is at a minimum enlightening and perhaps much more.
New England Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia has been linked to both teams' head-coaching vacancies the past few weeks, and it appears the pendulum has swung back to its origin. The MMQB reported that Patricia prefers the Giants to the Lions. Through it all, Quinn has kept silent in his words and actions.More news: Delta Air Lines (DAL) Releases Q1 Earnings Guidance
Sports Illustrated's Peter King wrote last week that Patricia, a NY native, prefers the Giants job, while the Daily News reported he's the team's top candidate after their first round of interviews.
That being said, in my 200 years of life (really 40), I have seen plenty of National Football League head coach searches play out.
The coaches work in a different part of the building than the front office staff in Foxboro, but former Patriots executive Floyd Reese told me this week "there was no doubt that" Quinn and Patricia "had a good relationship" inside the building. Don't believe me? Just ask them for yourself and you will see.
It makes sense for Patricia, too. A contract still must be worked out whenever New England's season ends.More news: New York City just declared war on the oil industry
But the man now destined for one of those jobs is Patricia, one year after he interviewed for the head-coaching jobs with the Rams and? And Quinn is far too smart for that. The Patriots will play in the AFC Championship Game Sunday, January 21.
The decision, objectively, isn't an easy one.
Wilks has history with Giants general manager Dave Gettleman.
But the fact that the Lions have done exactly nothing so far can't be overlooked, either.More news: Hina Khan vs Shilpa Shinde vs Vikas Gupta
The most important thing is that the Lions get this hire right, not the date that it happens.
- China rebuffs report it plans to halt USA treasury purchases
- Dark Souls Remastered publisher pegs leaked 50% loyalty scheme as a mistake
- Eagles Hold On Against the Falcons to Reach the NFC Title Game
- Got Batteries? Power Outage Stalls CES Gadget Show
- Crown Castle International Corp. (REIT) (NYSE:CCI) Slips -4.13% For the Week
- Brother of Hamas Foreign Minister Injured in Lebanon Car Bomb
- This star could leave if Alexis Sanchez joins Manchester United
- Kirby Star Allies Nintendo Switch Release Date Announced
- Polianta Ltd Sells 1280 Shares of Lam Research Co. (LRCX)
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATVI) Sees Large Decline in Short Interest