Pic: Getty ImagesThe giant consumer electronics show CES has suffered a power cut, plunging part of the event into darkness. Access will be limited until power is fully restored.
"A preliminary assessment indicates that condensation from heavy rainfall caused a flashover on one of the facility's transformers", according to a statement from the Las Vegas Visitor and Convention Authority, NV Energy and the Consumer Technology Association.
Companies affected by the outage included LG, Samsung and Sony, The Verge reports, along with tech start-up firms that "paid thousands of dollars to have a presence on the massive show floor". The blackout affected two halls of the Las Vegas Convention Center bringing a major portion of the conference to a halt on the second day of the week-long event.More news: Jose Mourinho gives injury update of Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Public service announcements played over an intercom thanking attendees for their patience while the work to resolve the issue continued. About that heavy rainfall: Record-breaking rain on Tuesday had already caused a bit of chaos at CES, flooding a number of booths, including one belonging to Google.
As one would expect at an event filled with tech enthusiasts, plenty of pictures and videos of the eerily darkened scene hit Twitter during the outage, with the hashtag #CESBlackout quickly becoming a top trending topic. The cause of the power outage was not immediately known. Without power, most of the companies exhibiting their new technologies on the show were not able to do anything during the blackout.
And in a sign of the huge energy draw from the tech show, once the crowds were let back in, the return to full, blazing electronic glory was slow. At around 11.15am local time there was a power surge noticed in the North Hall of the LVCC and at the same time power went out in the main Central Hall.More news: Residents evacuated amid Mount Mayon eruption warning
Introducing Blackout™: The biggest thing to hit #CES2018 since #5G.
Earlier today, CES 2018 experienced a blackout that lasted about two hours, leaving exhibitors and attendees literally in the dark.More news: Plane skids off runway and dangles over a cliff
- Makar Sankranti 2018: Puja timings, rituals and significance of this harvest festival
- African states demand Trump apologise for racist remark
- India were about to play an all-seam attack, reveals R Ashwin
- Brightline's 'higher speed' train service will begin this weekend in Florida
- Does The Data Supplment Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ:CMCSA) Movement?
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Revealed in Detroit
- BBC pundit has transfer advice for Newcastle United
- White House doctor declares Trump 'in excellent health'
- Dark Souls Remastered CONFIRMED: Nintendo Switch release revealed in Nintendo Direct
- Wind chill advisory issued for north Georgia mountains