He sent his mother, back home in southern IL, a message - a screen shot of his phone, with the alert across it.
The alert stated there was a threat "inbound to Hawaii" and for residents to seek shelter and that "this is not a drill". It wasn't until nearly 40 minutes later that a correction cancelling the false alarm was sent to mobile phones. The US island state is potentially within reach of North Korea's nuclear missiles, tests have indicated.
The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission announced the agency would be launching a full investigation into how the alert was sent out. "We're trying to figure out where this came from or how this started".More news: Democrats Will Attempt to Censure Trump After 'S**thole Countries' Remark
Gov. David Ige (D) said he would consult with officials to ensure future "confidence" in the emergency alert system.
Hawaii US Senator Brian Schatz tweeted the false alarm was "totally inexcusable" and was caused by human error. They are calling for more answers as to how this message could have been sent in the first place.
A spokesman for U.S. Pacific Command, Dave Benham, told Fox News that they have "detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii". There is NO threat to the State of Hawaii!
World number four and 2017 PGA Championship victor Justin Thomas was one of several players who took to social media following the false alarm in Honolulu.More news: Aziz Ansari has been accused of sexual misconduct
Miyagi said Saturday that if the alert is sent in the "actual event", there will be 12-14 minutes before the impact.
The local news stations also didn't have any information, it was through Twitter that Wasylyk initially found out that the incoming missile was a false alarm.
He told News9 that when he received the alert on his phone, he wasn't sure what to do. "People were scurrying all over", said Pristelski.
Austin said the state of the world right now makes this threat feel all to real.More news: Bay Area Firefighters Return to Southern California to Aid in Mudslide Rescues
- Hina Khan vs Shilpa Shinde vs Vikas Gupta
- Lions to pick Patriots' Patricia as coach
- Brother of Hamas Foreign Minister Injured in Lebanon Car Bomb
- Mario Tennis Aces Announced for Nintendo Switch
- Red Cross, Cohoes to hold day-long fire safety program
- Senator confirms Trump's 'shithole' remark, says there was so much more
- 'Veere Di Wedding' Release Gets Pushed By Two Weeks
- Got Batteries? Power Outage Stalls CES Gadget Show
- Polianta Ltd Sells 1280 Shares of Lam Research Co. (LRCX)
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATVI) Sees Large Decline in Short Interest