He sent his mother, back home in southern IL, a message - a screen shot of his phone, with the alert across it.
The alert stated there was a threat "inbound to Hawaii" and for residents to seek shelter and that "this is not a drill". It wasn't until nearly 40 minutes later that a correction cancelling the false alarm was sent to mobile phones. The US island state is potentially within reach of North Korea's nuclear missiles, tests have indicated.
The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission announced the agency would be launching a full investigation into how the alert was sent out. "We're trying to figure out where this came from or how this started".More news: A guide to resources for parents on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Gov. David Ige (D) said he would consult with officials to ensure future "confidence" in the emergency alert system.
Hawaii US Senator Brian Schatz tweeted the false alarm was "totally inexcusable" and was caused by human error. They are calling for more answers as to how this message could have been sent in the first place.
A spokesman for U.S. Pacific Command, Dave Benham, told Fox News that they have "detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii". There is NO threat to the State of Hawaii!
World number four and 2017 PGA Championship victor Justin Thomas was one of several players who took to social media following the false alarm in Honolulu.More news: Wenger struggles for answers after "very frustrating" Bournemouth loss
Miyagi said Saturday that if the alert is sent in the "actual event", there will be 12-14 minutes before the impact.
The local news stations also didn't have any information, it was through Twitter that Wasylyk initially found out that the incoming missile was a false alarm.
He told News9 that when he received the alert on his phone, he wasn't sure what to do. "People were scurrying all over", said Pristelski.
Austin said the state of the world right now makes this threat feel all to real.More news: Senator confirms Trump's 'shithole' remark, says there was so much more
- Eagles Hold On Against the Falcons to Reach the NFC Title Game
- Red Cross, Cohoes to hold day-long fire safety program
- New York City just declared war on the oil industry
- Aziz Ansari has been accused of sexual misconduct
- Residents evacuated amid Mount Mayon eruption warning
- Bournemouth Fight Back to Shock Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday
- Joshua, Parker set for world heavyweight title clash on March 31
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATVI) Sees Large Decline in Short Interest
- Democrats Will Attempt to Censure Trump After 'S**thole Countries' Remark
- 'Veere Di Wedding' Release Gets Pushed By Two Weeks