Most of the activities are coordinated each year by the Oklahoma City Martin Luther King Jr.
The BLM will waive recreation-related fees for visitors to public lands on four additional occasions this year - Presidents' Day, Feb. 19; National Get Outdoors Day, June 9; National Public Lands Day, Sept. 22; and Veterans' Day, Nov. 11.
A local observance will be held beginning at 5 p.m.at Cine El Rey in downtown McAllen. National Historic Site in Atlanta a federal historic park.
Guests are requested to bring drums - although some drums will be provided - and a dish for six people to contribute to a communal buffet.More news: Bournemouth Fight Back to Shock Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday
In their speeches, students were instructed to write about aspects of the world, the nation or the school they would like to change.
"We will travel back in time as we highlight major events throughout African American history", stated Kris Bain of the city's Community Services Department.
In 1994, Congress passed the King Holiday and Service Act, designating the Martin Luther King Jr. "King believed in using the tactics of nonviolence and civil disobedience based on his religious beliefs and inspiration by Mahatma Gandhi".
The civil rights leader fought the battle for racial equality during the turbulent 1950s and 1960s.More news: Crown Castle International Corp. (REIT) (NYSE:CCI) Slips -4.13% For the Week
He campaigned against inequality throughout the South, including leading the 1955 Montgomery bus boycott.
United Way for Greater Austin and Keep Austin Beautiful joined forces to help clean up the street that bears the name of the civil rights leader.
Students in Hope Hill's fifth-grade class read about different aspects of King's famous "I Have a Dream" speech.
This year is also the 50th anniversary of King's assassination and the event will also include a special exhibit featuring mementos and press clippings from the personal files of members of the steering committee.More news: This star could leave if Alexis Sanchez joins Manchester United
King received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 for his nonviolent campaign against racism. It is considered one of the most renowned speeches in American history. But, as long as we don't give up, King's dream is attainable.
- NFC Divisional Playoff Notes: New Orleans Saints at Minnesota Vikings
- Delta Air Lines (DAL) Releases Q1 Earnings Guidance
- Residents evacuated amid Mount Mayon eruption warning
- Red Cross, Cohoes to hold day-long fire safety program
- Wenger struggles for answers after "very frustrating" Bournemouth loss
- Democrats Will Attempt to Censure Trump After 'S**thole Countries' Remark
- New York City just declared war on the oil industry
- Bay Area Firefighters Return to Southern California to Aid in Mudslide Rescues
- Joshua, Parker set for world heavyweight title clash on March 31
- Aziz Ansari has been accused of sexual misconduct