Most of the activities are coordinated each year by the Oklahoma City Martin Luther King Jr.
The BLM will waive recreation-related fees for visitors to public lands on four additional occasions this year - Presidents' Day, Feb. 19; National Get Outdoors Day, June 9; National Public Lands Day, Sept. 22; and Veterans' Day, Nov. 11.
A local observance will be held beginning at 5 p.m.at Cine El Rey in downtown McAllen. National Historic Site in Atlanta a federal historic park.
Guests are requested to bring drums - although some drums will be provided - and a dish for six people to contribute to a communal buffet.More news: Brother of Hamas Foreign Minister Injured in Lebanon Car Bomb
In their speeches, students were instructed to write about aspects of the world, the nation or the school they would like to change.
"We will travel back in time as we highlight major events throughout African American history", stated Kris Bain of the city's Community Services Department.
In 1994, Congress passed the King Holiday and Service Act, designating the Martin Luther King Jr. "King believed in using the tactics of nonviolence and civil disobedience based on his religious beliefs and inspiration by Mahatma Gandhi".
The civil rights leader fought the battle for racial equality during the turbulent 1950s and 1960s.More news: 'Veere Di Wedding' Release Gets Pushed By Two Weeks
He campaigned against inequality throughout the South, including leading the 1955 Montgomery bus boycott.
United Way for Greater Austin and Keep Austin Beautiful joined forces to help clean up the street that bears the name of the civil rights leader.
Students in Hope Hill's fifth-grade class read about different aspects of King's famous "I Have a Dream" speech.
This year is also the 50th anniversary of King's assassination and the event will also include a special exhibit featuring mementos and press clippings from the personal files of members of the steering committee.More news: Got Batteries? Power Outage Stalls CES Gadget Show
King received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 for his nonviolent campaign against racism. It is considered one of the most renowned speeches in American history. But, as long as we don't give up, King's dream is attainable.
- Jose Mourinho gives injury update of Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Dark Souls Remastered publisher pegs leaked 50% loyalty scheme as a mistake
- Crown Castle International Corp. (REIT) (NYSE:CCI) Slips -4.13% For the Week
- Eagles Hold On Against the Falcons to Reach the NFC Title Game
- China rebuffs report it plans to halt USA treasury purchases
- Kirby Star Allies Nintendo Switch Release Date Announced
- Wenger struggles for answers after "very frustrating" Bournemouth loss
- This star could leave if Alexis Sanchez joins Manchester United
- Aziz Ansari has been accused of sexual misconduct
- Red Cross, Cohoes to hold day-long fire safety program