"HUD stands with our local partners who are working each and every day to house and serve our most vulnerable neighbors", Carson said on Thursday.
Los Angeles County - which has the nation's second-highest number of homeless people of any region at more than 55,000 - will receive about $122 million.
According to a HUD media statement, "HUD's Continuum of Care grants provide critically needed support to local programs on the front lines of serving individuals and families experiencing homelessness". View a complete list of all the state and local homeless projects awarded funding.
"This funding is critical in our efforts to end homelessness across Wisconsin as we know it", said HUD Midwest Regional Administrator, Joseph P. Galvan.More news: 3 quakes magnitude 5 hit Iran-Iraq border area
Housing for homeless people in San Francisco got a boost Thursday when the federal government announced it is giving the city $9 million more than it did previous year as part of its annual funding for homeless programs around the nation. The cities of Aurora and Elgin, as well as Kane County, received more than $1.7 million.
According to a HUD report, homelessness declined in MA in 2017 compared to 2016. Family homelessness increased by 4 percent.
The housing department estimates that the number of people experiencing long term, chronic homelessness, including veterans, has increased.
HUD estimates there were 553,742 persons experiencing homelessness on a single night nationally in 2017, and increase of.7 percent since past year.More news: May reshuffles her Cabinet
Homelessness also inched up about 1 percent across the nation, according to HUD, which found that on a given night across the country in 2017, an estimated 553,742 people were homeless, with nearly two-thirds housed in shelters or transitional housing programs and one-third living on the streets.
Ben Carson announced the money was coming through Continuum of Care grants.
HUD's mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all.More news: Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea: Five Things We Learned
- International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), Medtronic plc (MDT)
- 'Bored' Russian man crashes armoured vehicle into shop
- Dakar Rally: KP Aravind pulls out with broken ankle, injury toll increases
- Calcutta University to await court order before D.Litt to Mamata Banerjee
- Wisconsin agencies aim to address human trafficking
- Echo Arena thanks emergency services after vehicle park fire
- Mega-church destroyed in crackdown on Christians
- Donald and Melania Trump Had a Rockin' New Year's Eve
- Economists advise Modi on farm incomes, fiscal & jobs
- Teacher hopes arrest spurs concern for education