The Bangladeshi man accused of attempting a suicide bombing in a busy New York City commuter hub in the name of Islamic State in December was indicted on US terrorism charges by a grand jury on Wednesday. "Ullah's alleged plot failed", U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman of the Southern District of NY said in a statement, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or Daesh. Ullah is suspected of strapping a pipe bomb to his body and setting it off in a subway passageway.
The Bangladeshi man accused of attempting a suicide bombing in the Port Authority subways terminal has been indicted.More news: (NYSE:XOM) VP Sells $996600.00 in Stock
Ullah suffered lacerations and burns to his hand and stomach in the bombing, authorities said.
The indictment brought multiple charges, including providing material support to ISIS and attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction.
Authorities also found a passport in Ullah's name with the handwritten notation: "O AMERICA, DIE IN YOUR RAGE". He appeared to be the only person seriously injured during the incident.More news: Covenant Asset Management LLC Takes $625000 Position in Cheniere Energy, Inc. (LNG)
Emotions ran high at the time of Ullah's arrest, which occurred in the middle of the holiday season and quickly fed the political machine. "Ullah's alleged plot failed, and he is now charged with federal terrorism offenses and facing life behind bars".
When Manhattan Federal Judge Richard Sullivan asked Ullah his plea, Ullah replied, "At this moment, not guilty".
Before the blast, Ullah posted messages to his Facebook page referring to ISIS and taunting President Donald Trump.More news: Lou Williams scores career-high 50, Clippers beat Warriors
Meanwhile, Ullah will seek medical attention inside Manhattan's Metropolitan Correctional, where attorneys say that he needs treatment to remove his stitches and replace his dressing. Turner estimated that if the case went to trial, it would likely take one to two weeks.
- BJP stages 'Jail Bharo' against Siddaramaiah
- New home launches plunge 78% in 2017
- Hot Trending Stocks: CSX Corp. (CSX), Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL)
- Camila Cabello's Debut Album 'Camila' Breaks Major iTunes Record in 24 Hours
- Swiss mountain town Davos relishing in anti-globalist Trump spotlight
- Taylor Swift concert ticket sales 'a mega disappointment'
- Tributes pour in following death of a former Big Brother contestant
- Did Meghan Markle inspire Kate Middleton's latest look?
- Trump Says "Probably" Has Very Good Relationship With Kim Jong Un
- Pelosi's 'five white guys' joke not well received by peer