Incident commander Bryn Coleman, from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue, said crews faced "arduous" conditions when they arrived to tackle the "severe" fire that spread across the concourse.
Footage posted to social media shows flames and smoke billowing from the building.
A fire at Nottingham rail station is causing disruption to train services across the UK.
Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service Tweeted: "The cause of this fire has not yet been established - current focus is dealing with the incident and keeping everyone safe".More news: Suspected murderer shot, killed at CMPD Headquarters after ambushing officers
There are also rail replacement buses being put on from stations such as Grantham and East Midlands Parkway to take customers into Nottingham.
At least 60 firefighters are tackling a large fire in a recently redeveloped section of Nottingham railway station.
In a tweet, the firefighters said that the fire is "still on-going and we're likely to be here for some time".
Flames were seen coming from the station's roof and smoke filled the foyer, prompting the building's evacuation.More news: Canada Preparing For US To Pull Out Of NAFTA Trade Deal
"This means that services on the Nottingham/London, Matlock/Nottingham/Newark, Nottingham/Mansfield/Worksop, Leicester/Lincoln/Grimbsy, Nottingham/Grantham/Skegness and Liverpool/Nottingham/Norwich routes are disrupted".
- Emergency services were alerted to the blaze at 6.25am.
Emergency services believe everyone inside the building escaped unharmed.
He said passengers should check the East Midlands Trains website for the latest travel information.More news: Hundreds arrested as Tunisia sends troops to quell protests
East Midlands Trains warned: "Please do not travel to Nottingham station this morning as trains will be unable to run and we are unable to provide road transport to/from the station".
- Uber used tech tool to shield data from police outside US
- England call up Liam Livingstone for two-Test tour to New Zealand
- Capello: Conte, Mourinho feud out of control
- Researchers Find Thick Sheets of Ice Hiding Under Martian Surface
- PUBG's new customization items are already fetching insanely high prices on Steam
- Nintendo announces Mario Tennis Aces for Nintendo Switch
- GM's latest self-driving vehicle has no steering wheel or pedals
- Who is CJI Dipak Misra?
- China 2017 Exports to North Korea Up 8.3% -- Customs
- Seth Meyers Makes the Golden Globes Political in Record Time