Texas was able to storm back and tie the game at 98 before small forward Jericho Sims converted the decisive free throw with five seconds left to seal the Longhorns' win.
Texas sophomore point guard Andrew Jones has been diagnosed with leukemia, the program announced today. When responding to questions about Jones' absence, it was clear from coach Shaka Smart's pained reaction this was more than a typical virus or illness. "He's the one that's been on our minds and in our hearts". I hope 'Drew is listening right now.
In a statement, the school said Jones, a former Irving MacArthur standout, had begun treatment and asked the public to keep Jones in its thoughts and prayers.More news: New Jersey Now Only State Where You Can't Pump Your Own Gas
Udoka Azubuike #35 of the Kansas Jayhawks plays defense against Andrew Jones #1 of the Texas Longhorns at the Frank Erwin Center on December 29, 2017 in Austin, Texas. "Our guys really fed off of his spirit tonight".
"Andrew's the best fighter on our team. He's obviously just starting his fight, but nobody I know is a stronger fighter than him".
Kenrich Williams led the Horned Frogs with 26 points, 23 of which came after halftime, and nine rebounds.More news: Chris Hemsworth 'throwing ideas around' for Thor 4
Jones was Texas' leading scorer before the wrist injury and is now averaging 13.5 points a game while shooting 52.2 percent from the field and 46.3 percent on three pointers.
But on a night like Wednesday night, it didn't seem fair for a shot like that to sink the Longhorns. He played 11 minutes against Iowa State on New Year's Day, after which Smart revealed that he was concerned something else was sapping Jones of his usual energy.More news: Colorado Sheriff's Office Says 'Multiple Deputies Down' in Active Incident
- Rep. Darrell Issa surprises with plans to not seek re-election
- Abe leaves for Baltic and E.European tour
- Kenya Airways announces its inaugural direct flight to US
- Mini Hardtops and Convertible Updated
- Ford December US Sales Up 0.9%
- Costa on the bench for Atletico´s Lleida trip
- Jaguars' Two-Minute Drill from win over Buffalo
- Number of people attending stop smoking program rises amid high cigarette prices
- Alex Jones Launches Preemptive Strike Against Oprah 2020
- Iran holds out hope for survivors on burning oil tanker