Wichita State sophomore guard Landry Shamet is among the 25 players named to the midseason list for the John R. Wooden Award, which is given annually to college basketball's top player.
Since its inception, the John R. Wooden Award has contributed almost one million dollars to the universities' general scholarship fund in the names of the Wooden Award All American recipients and has sent more than 1,000 underprivileged children to week-long college basketball camps. She earned Big Ten Player of the Week on November 13, December 4, Dec. 18, December 26, and January 2, and was named to the Player of the Week Honor Roll on November 20, Nov. 27, December 11, and January 8.
Collier, who has started all 14 games for the Huskies, is second on the squad in points per game (15.5), blocks (28) and steals (23).More news: Senate holds hearing on Cuba 'sonic attacks'
Young tied the NCAA single-game assist record against Northwestern State back in December.
Young, who was born in Texas Tech country in Lubbock, Texas, but grew up in the shadow of OU in Norman, has taken the country by surprise and by storm this season.
The Sooner superman leads the nation in scoring (29.2) and assists (10.2). In the 41-year history of the award, a Duke player has won the honor five times, which is the most among all schools. The leading candidates will be further pared to 20 top players in early February.More news: Europe's Ryder hopefuls face Asia in EurAsia
Bridges was also on the preseason top 50 list.
Landale was also this week named Hero Sports' Mid-Major Mid-season Player of the Year, and this latest recognition is unlikely to be the last this season. The Wooden Award All-American Team will be announced the week of the "Elite Eight" round of the NCAA Tournament.
The full Midseason Top 25 list can be viewed here.More news: State Department Approves Possible $133.3 Million Missile Deal With Japan
- Mini Hardtops and Convertible Updated
- Texas rallies around guard Andrew Jones after leukemia diagnosis
- Gene Therapy Cure For Blindness Gets $850K Price Tag
- Yet another D-Day for Lalu on Jan 24
- Highest trolley count at Limerick hospital on week of new overcrowding record
- Nigerians React As Benue Govt Buries Attack Victims
- New Jersey Now Only State Where You Can't Pump Your Own Gas
- Colorado Sheriff's Office Says 'Multiple Deputies Down' in Active Incident
- Turkey summons United States diplomat for supporting Syrian Kurd group
- OR at No. 17 Arizona tops the Pac-12 this week