About 12:40 p.m., the temperature at O'Hare International Airport reached 58, just 3 degrees shy of the record high temperature for January 11 of 61 degrees, which was set in 1880, according to the National Weather Service in Romeoville. Roads were wet for the morning drive, but as cold air moves in, the switch to freezing rain and sleet will make driving conditions treacherous. Meanwhile, Saturday morning will bring a change to snow near the US border with Canada, and freezing rain in parts of western CT, western and central MA and much of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
The cold front does not go far offshore on Sunday, perhaps lingering close enough for snow showers in eastern New England, otherwise cold and dry with sunny breaks, high temperatures in the teens and 20s.More news: Netflix releases trailer for 'Altered Carbon'
While the low temperature Friday will be around 32, Saturday's low will only be around 10. Some areas could end up with a tenth of an inch of ice. Ice changes to snow.
In 1901, the temperature in Evansville, Ind., dropped from 65 to 0 in a single day.More news: Metro searching for man suspected of Las Vegas store robbery
In addition, Long Islanders are urged to remain off of all frozen bodies of water - such as lakes, ponds - as increased temperatures and excessive rainfall may cause ice surfaces to weaken and become risky.
Thursday saw a high around 60 degrees, but that was expected to give way to a low of around 20 degrees with wind gusts as high as 31 miles per hour. Some areas could see one to two inches of snow by Friday night, but not all forecast models agree, with some amounts much lower. That chance of snow will linger into Tuesday. Winds will be coming from the northwest at 9 to 18 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 28 miles per hour.More news: Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers — AFC Divisional Sunday
- Future Samsung phones will have a feature, which iPhone users can not access!
- CES 2018: Blackout in Vegas
- Marriott website in China temporarily closed after questionnaire gaffe
- Turkey Says Russia, Iran Should Stop Syrian Attacks In Idlib
- Liverpool's Salah back in training ahead of Manchester City clash
- 74 percent of Pornhub's Canadian traffic came from mobile devices in 2017
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill song hit with copyright lawsuit
- MI analyst Scott Turner leaving for NFL's Carolina Panthers
- All jewels stolen in brazen Paris Ritz robbery recovered
- NFL Playoffs: Vikings vs Saints Analyst Pick