Adding to the mystery, the satellite, categorized as United States of America 280, was still listed as a payload on orbit by the US space surveillance system as of Tuesday afternoon, said Laura Grego, a Caltech-trained physicist who is a senior scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists.
For clarity: after review of all data to date, Falcon 9 did everything correctly on Sunday night.
For its part, SpaceX seems to be shifting the blame away from itself, and said in a statement, "We do not comment on missions of this nature; but as of right now reviews of the data indicate Falcon 9 performed nominally".More news: Super Mario Odyssey getting free minigame and outfit DLC
Northrup Grumman, the maker of the payload, said it was for the USA government and would be delivered to low-Earth orbit, but offered no other details.
Northrop Grumman - which provided the satellite for an undisclosed US government entity - said it can not comment on classified missions. The media did credit the source of information to an anonymous U.S. government official confirming the failure of the mission.
The Falcon 9 rocket was able to make a successful powered landing back on the ground after separating from the upper stage. "Information published that is contrary to this statement is categorically false".
SpaceX is the commercial launch service formed by Elon Musk, who is also CEO of Tesla.More news: The Dark Souls Trilogy Box Set Looks Gorgeous
SpaceX has pushed back an historic test of the Falcon Heavy, the world's largest rocket.
SpaceX has launched national security payloads in the past, including a spy satellite for the National Reconnaissance Office, and an X-37B space plane for the US Air Force. Last year, SpaceX completed 18 launches.
Teams will watch closely as the three-core launch vehicle is loaded with propellant at pad 39A on Thursday, then briefly fire its 27 Merlin engines for the first time.More news: Pa. governor signs disaster emergency in opioid crisis
- Circuit City announces reboot almost 9 years after closing
- Chicago Bears Hire Mark Helfrich as Offensive Coordinator
- US Department of State ranks Armenia among safest countries for travel
- Wendy Williams Aims At Kylie Jenner With Loaded Insults Surrounding Pregnancy Rumours
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Confirmed To Debut At MWC 2018: What To Expect
- Lieberman to approve over 1000 new homes in West Bank settlements
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age hits PC in February with Optimizations
- Flu death of 21-year-old man shocks family
- James Franco Accused Of 'Sexually Inappropriate And Exploitative Behavior' By Five Women
- Zinedine Zidane confirms clear-the-air talks with Real Madrid squad