At the start of the year, people in rural OR counties could begin pumping their own gas. Others, like most places here in NY (where we've been pumping our own gas forever), will either have one lane designated as full service where you pay a bit more or you can pull up to a pump and blow your horn.
"I don't even know how to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian", said Sandy Franklin on Facebook. "I say NO THANKS!", one punter wrote angrily in response to a news story about the change, despite it not in fact being a poll. "I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and nearly died doing it", one Oregonian wrote.
"Attendant-pumped gas is one of those long-time OR things, like no sales tax, that has always made this state unique". I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas.
"Who knows how this will effect other body systems".More news: Kenya Airways announces its inaugural direct flight to US
"Our regular, longtime customers love coming here and talking to us while we pump their gas", Shelby Perkins, a cashier at a 76 gas station in Prineville, told the paper. Since then, gas stations and pumps have become safer and most states have abandoned these laws. They didn't pass a law mandating that you pump your own gas. I laughed said I am from Idaho, I'm fully capable, you can leave...
One commenter dubbed Oregonians "backwoods rednecks.in the North" for being unable to pump gas without spilling the whole tank and triggering a Star Wars-style explosion.
It will also not eliminate jobs because gas stations with convenience stores are still required to have attendants during business hours. If most of the country has learned to pump its own gas, why do some OR residents continue to advocate for station attendants?
Lastly, we aren't the only state that has fancy gas waiters.More news: Rep. Darrell Issa surprises with plans to not seek re-election
Other managers said they would have employees on hand to teach drivers how to pump their gas. "You have now taken away a nice luxury that most of us enjoyed". Some stations have already promised that they have no intentions of getting rid of attendants any time soon.
The new law is causing concern for some drivers in OR for a variety of reasons.
While there may have been safety concerns 65 years ago, Oregon's ban on self-service gas stations is becoming increasingly ad hoc over time.
People across the US are getting in on the fun, too.More news: Costa on the bench for Atletico´s Lleida trip
- Alex Jones Launches Preemptive Strike Against Oprah 2020
- Number of people attending stop smoking program rises amid high cigarette prices
- What Katrina Kaif's Tiger Zinda Hai Director Commented On Her Training Video
- Monaco must 'prepare' for Thomas Lemar interest - Leonardo Jardim
- Messi, Suarez score as Barcelona thrash Levante
- Property assessments show biggest gains in condo market
- Colorado Sheriff's Office Says 'Multiple Deputies Down' in Active Incident
- UIDAI introduces virtual ID, limited KYC for Aadhaar card holders
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Is Doing Really Well On The Switch
- Senate holds hearing on Cuba 'sonic attacks'