Waiters has chose to undergo season-ending surgery on his injured left ankle after receiving second opinions, Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports reports.
Waiters' ankle has been problematic since last spring, when it forced him to miss the final 13 games of the 2017 season.More news: Steve Kerr calls LaVar Ball 'the Kardashian of the NBA'
ESPN reports that the surgery is expected in the next two weeks and that recovery should take between four and six months.
The Heat are now on a six-game winning streak and are in fourth place in the Eastern Conference playoff race.More news: State Department Approves Possible $133.3 Million Missile Deal With Japan
Waiters, who hasn't played since December 22, said last month he was aiming to delay surgery until the offseason after forgoing the option to have a procedure over the summer. He considered surgery last summer but instead elected to do arduous rehab and treatment, in part because he was a free agent. The Heat's regular season ends April 11.
Waiters' production has dipped this season as he has played through pain in the ankle that he said was "excruciating" at times.More news: Nigerians React As Benue Govt Buries Attack Victims
Prior to going down with the injury, Waiters appeared in 30 games for the Heat this season, averaging 14.3 points in 30.6 minutes per game.
- Canada challenges U.S. tariff system
- 'No security threat to Nazarene feast'
- Gene Therapy Cure For Blindness Gets $850K Price Tag
- Texas A&M Women's Basketball: Carter Named To Wooden Award Midseason Top 25
- MEA confirms Doval-Janjua secret talks post Jadhav-family meet
- HTC U11 EYEs Coming on January 15: Specs and Features
- Teacher hopes arrest spurs concern for education
- Turkey summons United States diplomat for supporting Syrian Kurd group
- Elderly 'Christmas Pot' Couple Busted for Carrying $18000 in Drug Money
- Tottenham make contact over move for Manchester United target Lucas Moura