Waiters has chose to undergo season-ending surgery on his injured left ankle after receiving second opinions, Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports reports.
Waiters' ankle has been problematic since last spring, when it forced him to miss the final 13 games of the 2017 season.More news: 3 quakes magnitude 5 hit Iran-Iraq border area
ESPN reports that the surgery is expected in the next two weeks and that recovery should take between four and six months.
The Heat are now on a six-game winning streak and are in fourth place in the Eastern Conference playoff race.More news: MEA confirms Doval-Janjua secret talks post Jadhav-family meet
Waiters, who hasn't played since December 22, said last month he was aiming to delay surgery until the offseason after forgoing the option to have a procedure over the summer. He considered surgery last summer but instead elected to do arduous rehab and treatment, in part because he was a free agent. The Heat's regular season ends April 11.
Waiters' production has dipped this season as he has played through pain in the ankle that he said was "excruciating" at times.More news: Gene Therapy Cure For Blindness Gets $850K Price Tag
Prior to going down with the injury, Waiters appeared in 30 games for the Heat this season, averaging 14.3 points in 30.6 minutes per game.
- IndusInd Bank Q3 net profit rises 25% to Rs936.25 crore
- Texas A&M Women's Basketball: Carter Named To Wooden Award Midseason Top 25
- Yet another D-Day for Lalu on Jan 24
- Tottenham make contact over move for Manchester United target Lucas Moura
- Europe's Ryder hopefuls face Asia in EurAsia
- Canada challenges U.S. tariff system
- Intel sets world record by flying 100 mini drones for light show
- HTC U11 EYEs Coming on January 15: Specs and Features
- 'Three Billboards' and 'Lady Bird' win Best Picture at Golden Globes
- Two Former WWE Women's Champions Contacted For Women's Royal Rumble Match