If Barcelona which falls in the Catalan region is restricted from participating in the La Liga which is the Spanish top flight and is forced to stand out of the English or the French league then any club wanting Messi won't have to pay the clause.
The referendum had direct ramifications for Barcelona who, on the day that it was held, chose to play their La Liga game against Las Palmas behind closed doors in response to police violence against would-be voters.
With the win, Barcelona opened the gap between themselves and Real Madrid to seventeen points with our rivals playing Celta Vigo in their fixture later tonight.More news: Oprah for president? Winfrey fans urge White House run after #MeToo speech
Coutinho's predecessor as Barca's record signing, Ousmane Dembele, made his first start since September after recovering from a torn hamstring in another positive development for Valverde.
Messi was back in the starting line-up after missing the King's Cup draw with Celta Vigo on Thursday.
The deal saw Coutinho become the second most expensive footballer ever behind compatriot Neymar, who moved from Barcelona to Paris St Germain for 222 million euros in August.
Messi was snapped with his two sons and wife Antonella Roccuzzo, who donned a bright pink Playboy jumper, as they arrived at the Barcelona-El Prat Airport.More news: Capcom explains "extra work" behind Monster Hunter World PC delay
It took only 12 minutes for them to break the deadlock at the Camp Nou - and surprise surprise, it came through Messi.
Barcelona went 2-0 up in the thirty-eighth minute when Luis Suarez produced a stunning finish.
Suarez wasted a couple of chances to make Barca's victory more comfortable and forward Jose Arnaiz was handed a league debut in the last five minutes.More news: Run ends early again for Chiefs, Kareem Hunt
- Jon Gruden believes 'there's a good chance' he'll be next Raiders coach
- Scientific study suggests ibuprofen linked to male infertility
- AFC Wildcard Sunday - Buffalo Bills at Jacksonville Jaguars
- Radon can pose serious health risks, test your home now
- Packers reportedly to consider former Bills GM Doug Whaley for same role
- Here's How Hoda Kotb's 'Today' Show Salary Compares to Matt Lauer's
- LSU RB Derrius Guice announces he's leaving early, declares for NFL Draft
- Hearn: Pacquiao, Brook, Thurman & Spence All Big Fights for Khan
- New federal guidance raises questions for legal marijuana
- Actress Sorvino doesn't want Me Too movement to lose focus