Direct flights to the United States will significantly reduce the time taken to move cargo between the U.S. and East Africa; from seven days to as little as a day. "We are honored to contribute to the economic growth of Kenya and East Africa", Mikosz said.
A return flight will then leave NY at 12.25 pm the same day and touch the ground in Nairobi at 10.55 am the following day. The flight will fly overnight in the westbound direction- unusual for transatlantic flights-departing Nairobi at 11:25 p.m. before arriving at JFK at 6:25 a.m. the following day.More news: Oprah for president? Winfrey fans urge White House run after #MeToo speech
The carrier, which is 7.8 percent owned by Air France KLM, has started taking bookings for the flights to NY that will carry 234 passengers each way on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner plane.
Up until now, numerous carriers have provided one-stop service from all across East Africa to the U.S. Gulf carriers all do so through their global superhubs in Qatar, Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
American firms with a deep presence include IBM, Coca-Cola, Google, Microsoft and Cisco.More news: Messi, Suarez score as Barcelona thrash Levante
The US remains Kenya's biggest tourist source market and KQ will be banking on the number of tourists as well as businessmen to make the route profitable.
The Kenya Tourism Board has lauded Kenya Airways for the move, saying it was a big win for the sector in the country.
The flight will connect Nairobi, Kenya's capital city and one of Africa's busiest and business-heavy cities, to one of the world's premier business hubs, New York City, which has not been possible until recently. The airline says it hopes the new route to the USA will stimulate trade between the two nations.More news: What Katrina Kaif's Tiger Zinda Hai Director Commented On Her Training Video
The firm recently announced a Sh3.8 billion half-year net loss for the business but hopes various initiatives will return it to profitability.
- Jaguars' Two-Minute Drill from win over Buffalo
- 13000 trapped at Swiss ski station
- Portland General Electric (POR) Receiving Somewhat Positive Press Coverage, Analysis Shows
- UIDAI introduces virtual ID, limited KYC for Aadhaar card holders
- Enzo Amore Comments On Ronda Rousey To WWE Rumors
- Rep. Darrell Issa surprises with plans to not seek re-election
- LSU RB Derrius Guice announces he's leaving early, declares for NFL Draft
- Run ends early again for Chiefs, Kareem Hunt
- Abe leaves for Baltic and E.European tour
- Monaco must 'prepare' for Thomas Lemar interest - Leonardo Jardim