India's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, in its forty second flight (PSLV-C40), launched the 710 kg Cartosat-2 Series Satellite for earth observation and 30 co-passenger satellites together weighing about 613 kg at lift-off.
Of the 31 satellites, three are Indian and 28 are from six countries: Canada, Finland, France, South Korea, UK and the US.More news: Ockhi fund spent for Kerala CM's travel for party meetings
There are only three Indian satellites among the 31 that ISRO is launching today at 9:29 AM under its first mission in 2018 - the PSLV-C40/Cartosat-2 Series Satellite Mission. The failure stranded the IRNSS 1H satellite on the PSLV's upper stage, leaving it unable to separate from the rocket to begin its mission.
The Cartosat-2 remote-sensing satellite is the main payload aboard the PSLV C-40.More news: New England Patriots: 3 Key players to beating Titans in Divisional Round
The 28 worldwide customer satellites are being launched as part of a commercial deal between Antrix, a Government of India company under the Department of Space, and global customers.
The co-passengers on Friday's launch include Telesat's second prototype broadband communications satellite, following on the loss of the Canadian company's first experimental high-speed Internet craft on a failed Soyuz/Fregat rocket launch in late November. While the department of space has been speaking about allowing private players to build rockets in future, which is expected to increase the frequency of launches, Sivan said: "We're already in the process of moving it to the industry and it will take some time for it to materialize". ISRO had successfully launched Cartosat-2 Series satellite on June 22, 2016.More news: Dropbox IPO Filing Reportedly Made Confidentially
Of the total number of satellites carried by PSLV-C40, 30 satellites will be launched into a 505 kms polar Sun Synchronous Orbit (SSO). The Cartosat-2 series satellite launch is a follow-on mission with the primary objective of providing high resolution scene specific spot imageries.
- All Mac, iOS devices affected by chip bugs but safe now: Apple
- Streetwise Analysis on Shares of Domino's Pizza, Inc. (NYSE:DPZ)
- Hard Brexit risks 92000 United Kingdom science and technology jobs
- Trump refers to Latin American, African countries as 'sh*thole' states
- Honda Insight hybrid ousts Civic Hybrid for upscale EV
- Georgia in US Senate Democrats Report
- So Queen Elizabeth has sacked her lingerie stylist and here's why
- Freezing rain, snow, wintry mix in today's forecast
- LG G7 May Bring Along LG Pay in the US
- Toyota is the latest auto maker to add Alexa to its cars