- A spike in flu cases in NY and across the country has health officials urging people to get influenza vaccine if they haven't done so already.
Merrill South, the public relations manager for Baptist Health in Montgomery, said wait times have increased for non-emergency care and urged those with flu-like symptoms without signs of serious illness to first see their medical doctor or an urgent care facility before coming to an emergency room.
"Alabama is experiencing widespread influenza (flu) activity, and hospitals are at or over normal patient capacity due in large part to the number of patients presenting with seasonal influenza-like symptoms", ADPH said.
Officials said all of the dead were Dallas residents with "high risk health conditions" with ages ranging from 38 to 94. While he said the flu itself is no worse, he agreed that more people could be getting it because of a less effective vaccine.More news: At least 8 people dead after California mudslides
Only injectable flu shots are recommended for use again this season. The city of Roanoake is aiming to get everyone vaccinated, by offering the shot for free at their fire station.
Chart showing Hong Kong's 2018 statistics for flu cases falling above the baseline.
The Iowa Department of Public Health now says 25 percent of all flu tests last week came back positive for Influenza.
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW: When big news breaks, we send Breaking News emails.More news: LG G7 May Bring Along LG Pay in the US
Health officials in North Carolina report four new flu deaths, while a school canceled classes for the rest of the week and hospitals placed restrictions on visitors because of the outbreak. The most recent statistics that include adults were from the week that ended December 16, when 6.7 percent of deaths reported to the National Center for Health Statistics were attributed to influenza and pneumonia. Triad hospitals are dealing with a surge of sick patients. Of the 421 students with flu-like illness, 118 of them were confirmed flu cases. A recent study out of Australia, which recently wrapped up its flu season, showed that a similar vaccine wasn't all that useful there. Werker noted the criticism about the effectiveness of this year's flu shot.
Vaccines are also available at doctors' offices and retail pharmacies.
Children and the elderly are also not spared from the flu season. Babies, the elderly, pregnant women and those with chronic diseases should take special approaches to avoiding and dealing with the flu and should see their primary care provider for antiviral medication if they are ill, he said.More news: Streetwise Analysis on Shares of Domino's Pizza, Inc. (NYSE:DPZ)
- Toyota is the latest auto maker to add Alexa to its cars
- Trump says he will soon take a decision on Iran sanctions
- Hard Brexit risks 92000 United Kingdom science and technology jobs
- Sam's Club stores abruptly close
- Trump author defends book as president claims it is 'lies'
- Winter Olympics 2018: Hockey Canada unveils team it will send to Pyeongchang
- ISRO set to launch its 100th satellite today, along with 30 others
- Dropbox IPO Filing Reportedly Made Confidentially
- Honda Insight hybrid ousts Civic Hybrid for upscale EV
- Trump calls Norway a 'great customer' in welcoming the PM