'It is a symptom of the correct economic decision to downsize the role and not throw millions of dollars at it, ' news analyst Andrew Tyndall stated.
However, since this is after all still very much a man's world, Kotb later announced she will not be making the same salary as Lauer.
"Hoda isn't complaining about the money", the insider said. If things go well, Hoda could ask for more next time if she re-ups her contract. "This has to be the most popular decision NBC News has ever made".More news: LG starts rolling out Android Oreo update for LG G6 users
And though she's taken over his "Today" show chair, Kotb says she and Lauer still talk, and that he texted her congratulations upon learning of her big promotion. She's been a familiar face around NBC since 1998 and to American viewers since 2008.
What's unfortunate is that they had this economic come-to-Jesus moment just after luring the white, blonde Kelly with a hefty, nearly-equal-to-her-male-counterpart salary, and chose to reward Kotb for her commitment to the show by paying her less than half of what a serial harasser and abuser made.
Kotb told People Magazine that despite her long work hours, she focuses on prioritizing her family. Like, I did not want that to be the happy day.More news: Marine biologist says whale saved her from shark, Youtube users are skeptical
NBC and a representative for Kotb did not return HuffPost's requests for comment. Hoda has been tapped to join Savannah Guthrie for two hours a day, starting at 7 A.M. She will later clink wine glasses with Kathie Lee Gifford in the fourth hour of "Today".
Every change on the morning show is closely watched not just by millions of fans but also by advertisers and business analysts - because the show is a profit machine for NBC.
"I know it sounds insane, but it just feels like we will sit together out there and then go home to our kids", Kotb said. Women contributors were called "Today Girls" in the early years. I needed to feel great all through.More news: Ohio Man Charged With Creating 'Fruitfly' Mac Malware
- Jones Breaks Tradition, Chooses Biden As Escort For Swearing
- Joe Arpaio announces he's running for Senate
- Hearn: Pacquiao, Brook, Thurman & Spence All Big Fights for Khan
- Netanyahu not welcome in India: CPM
- Barcelona sign Colombia defender Yerry Mina from Palmeiras
- Rushing duo carries Bulldogs over Sooners in epic Rose Bowl finish
- Trump administration backs off Florida drilling proposal
- Nissan's latest technology allows cars to respond to drivers' brainwaves
- Gal Gadot Says 'We Should All Be Feminists', Especially Now!
- Face of the Red Fort terror attack suspect caught after 17 years