Samsung should be lauded for taking this important step, They are providing their customers a more engaging, immersive radio experience and, as importantly, a means to connect with life-saving information in emergencies. Meanwhile, emergency information came via FM radio signals - which, in many cases, the victims couldn't access, because their chips were locked.More news: GM's latest self-driving vehicle has no steering wheel or pedals
Samsung recently announced its collaboration with TagStation to enable FM radio on its Galaxy smartphones through its NextRadio app.More news: Capello: Conte, Mourinho feud out of control
With the NextRadio app, you can also routinely listen to free music and local news while consuming far less battery and data than through streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music. Founded in 2013, TagStation, LLC is headquartered in Indianapolis, IN with offices in Indianapolis and Chicago, IL.
Samsung and NextRadio are teaming up to enable the FM chip on future devices. Apple can not, however, as its newer iPhones do not come equipped with such a chip.More news: Samsung will show the Galaxy S9 at MWC next month
In a statement Apple said: "iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models do not have FM radio chips in them nor do they have antennas created to support FM signals, so it is not possible to enable FM reception in these products". FM mechanisms in smartphones commonly use the headphone wire as the FM antenna, to the extent that they won't function without the headphones plugged in.
- Sweet Home Alabama: Toyota And Mazda Building New $1.6 Billion Plant
- The Russo Brothers Reveal 'Avengers 4' Has Wrapped Filming
- Marriott website in China temporarily closed after questionnaire gaffe
- China 2017 Exports to North Korea Up 8.3% -- Customs
- Dark Souls Remastered: No HDR on PS4 Pro
- Infosys posts better-than-expected Q3 profit on tax deal
- Hazard 'agrees' summer transfer to Real Madrid
- Julian Assange Appears in Ecuador Database, Spurring Citizenship Speculation
- Fiat Chrysler to give United States workers US$2000 bonuses amid tax cuts
- Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers — AFC Divisional Sunday