Samsung should be lauded for taking this important step, They are providing their customers a more engaging, immersive radio experience and, as importantly, a means to connect with life-saving information in emergencies. Meanwhile, emergency information came via FM radio signals - which, in many cases, the victims couldn't access, because their chips were locked.More news: The Russo Brothers Reveal 'Avengers 4' Has Wrapped Filming
Samsung recently announced its collaboration with TagStation to enable FM radio on its Galaxy smartphones through its NextRadio app.More news: Capello: Conte, Mourinho feud out of control
With the NextRadio app, you can also routinely listen to free music and local news while consuming far less battery and data than through streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music. Founded in 2013, TagStation, LLC is headquartered in Indianapolis, IN with offices in Indianapolis and Chicago, IL.
Samsung and NextRadio are teaming up to enable the FM chip on future devices. Apple can not, however, as its newer iPhones do not come equipped with such a chip.More news: Canada Preparing For US To Pull Out Of NAFTA Trade Deal
In a statement Apple said: "iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models do not have FM radio chips in them nor do they have antennas created to support FM signals, so it is not possible to enable FM reception in these products". FM mechanisms in smartphones commonly use the headphone wire as the FM antenna, to the extent that they won't function without the headphones plugged in.
- Fiat Chrysler to give United States workers US$2000 bonuses amid tax cuts
- Fox Bumps Up Deadpool Sequel, Moves Back New Mutants to 2019
- GM's latest self-driving vehicle has no steering wheel or pedals
- Dark Souls Remastered: No HDR on PS4 Pro
- Celine Dion to perform in Singapore for the first time
- Uber used tech tool to shield data from police outside US
- Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers — AFC Divisional Sunday
- All jewels stolen in brazen Paris Ritz robbery recovered
- China 2017 Exports to North Korea Up 8.3% -- Customs
- Merkel entering final stage of make-or-break talks