Macron described "fake news" as a threat to democracy due to it "fostering doubt and forging alternative realities which allows people to say that the media and politicians are always more or less deceptive".
Instead, victims including politicians will be able to apply to courts to have sites and accounts erased from the Internet.
He added, "We will develop our legal system to protect democracy from this fake news". He insisted that press freedom could be preserved under such a law.More news: Cryptocurrencies To Watch In 2018 (Besides Bitcoin)
Le Monde's editorial board described legislation in such an area as press freedom and fake news, where the barriers are fluid and hard to define, as "inherently perilous".
French President Emmanuel Macron starts media law reform as a measure against the spread of "fake news" in social media. The French President specifically turned his attention to the Russian media, accusing TV channel RT that during the campaign it caused disinformation through its website and social media.
A French journalist, Loup Bureau, who was detained in a Turkish prison for more than seven weeks on "terror" charges, returned to France in September after Macron appealed to Erdoğan for his release.More news: Smith Sworn In as Minnesota's Newest US Senator
Mr Macron's campaign was also hit with a last minute email leak by suspected Russian hackers who stole thousands of classified documents and dumped them online.
The statement said Macron had expressed his concern to President Hassan Rouhani over the number of casualties in the six-day-old protests, and told him that freedom of speech and protest must be respected.
The EU has launched anaction committee to draft rules at combatting fake news, but no legislation iscurrently in place.More news: Lalu's sentencing postponed to Thursday, fresh trouble for Tejashwi
French President Emmanuel Macron called Thursday for Western nations to play a greater role in ending the war in Syria, saying the crisis could not be resolved by just "a few" foreign powers.
- Indian origin man in United States faces deportation for reportedly cheating authorities
- Inking of Israeli anti-tank missiles deal likely during Netanyahu's India visit
- Arsenal willing to meet Pavon release clause
- NM state lawmaker seeks to block border wall
- Bon Jovi Announce Spring Tour Dates
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Modder Adds Pink Darth Vader
- Princess Charlotte is a 'very sweet and confident' child with 'beautiful manners'
- Bear attacks man in Naples near high school
- Terror attacks in Pakistan keeps declining due to nationwide efforts
- Australia announce Chris Lynn's replacement for ODI series against England