Friday, 22 June 2018
Latest news
Main » Face of the Red Fort terror attack suspect caught after 17 years

Face of the Red Fort terror attack suspect caught after 17 years

12 January 2018

Kawa, according to police was arrested around 6 pm on January 11 from the T-3 terminal of the Delhi Airport and was suspected to have links with Lashkar-e-Toiba.

In a breakthrough in the 2000 Red Fort attack case, the Delhi Police and Gujarat Anti-Terrorism Squad arrested one of the suspects at the Delhi airport on Wednesday.

The police said that money to the tune of Rs 29.50 lakh was transferred through hawala in various bank accounts, including those of Kawa, to fund the attack.

More news: Australia announce Chris Lynn's replacement for ODI series against England

All these years, Kawa had been hiding in Kashmir under an assumed identity but his cover was blown a few days ago, sources said.

Alleged LeT operative Bilal Ahmad Kawa.

The police told the trial court that Kawa, one of the conspirators in the attack, had been absconding for 17 years and was declared a proclaimed offender by the court. He told police that he was going to change his name and identity, sources said.

More news: French president proposes law against 'fake news'

"He is needed for thorough interrogation and details of his associates need to be extracted from him, which requires lot of time", the police said.

Two soldiers of the Seventh Battalion of the Rajputana Rifles and a civilian guard were killed in indiscriminate firing at the Red Fort on December 22, 2000.

A senior officer from the Special Cell confirmed that a man has been detained but said that they were verifying whether he was Kawa.

More news: Trump administration backs off Florida drilling proposal

Earlier, terrorist Mohammad Arif alias Ashfaq, who was convicted in the case, had been awarded death sentence.

Face of the Red Fort terror attack suspect caught after 17 years