More than 15,000 Ethiopian children have been adopted by U.S. parents since 1999, the BBC reported.
Ethiopia had been among the top 10 countries for adoptions in the United States, according to State Department figures released a year ago.
The country's parliament has pulled the plug on global adoptions by foreigners in a bid to protect children from possible abuse by their new parents. Other celebrities to have adopted children from Ethiopia include Mary-Louise Parker and Connie Britton. They adopted their second daughter, Zahara, from an orphanage in Addis Ababa in 2005.More news: Gene Therapy Cure For Blindness Gets $850K Price Tag
Foreigners hoping to adopt children from Africa will have to strike Ethiopia off their list.
Lawmakers said that it was introduced to shield Ethiopian children from abuse and neglect. That possibility was highlighted in 2012 when, in a grim trial, an American couple were jailed for the death of their adopted 13-year old Ethiopian daughter.
But this practice was put under the spotlight after a USA couple were of convicted of manslaughter in the gruesome starvation and hypothermia death of a teenage girl they adopted from Ethiopia.More news: New Jersey Now Only State Where You Can't Pump Your Own Gas
Several countries have since suspended adoption from Ethiopia due to concerns over possible human trafficking cases.
Hana Williams died in May 2011 in the backyard of the couple's home, where she was forced to stay as part of a strict system of child-rearing outlined in a Christian parenting book.
In 2016, Denmark banned adoption from Ethiopia.More news: Colorado Sheriff's Office Says 'Multiple Deputies Down' in Active Incident
Several Ethiopian MPs raised concerns about the new legislation and argued that there were not enough facilities in place in Ethiopia to house and safeguard vulnerable children.
- Two Former WWE Women's Champions Contacted For Women's Royal Rumble Match
- Mini Hardtops and Convertible Updated
- Transform RSA warns ANC top brass against removing Zuma
- Highest trolley count at Limerick hospital on week of new overcrowding record
- Senate holds hearing on Cuba 'sonic attacks'
- Tottenham make contact over move for Manchester United target Lucas Moura
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Is Doing Really Well On The Switch
- IKEA ad requires pregnant women to urinate for a discount
- Jaguars' Two-Minute Drill from win over Buffalo
- MEA confirms Doval-Janjua secret talks post Jadhav-family meet