According to the data released by The Central Statistics Office (CSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, retail inflation went up mostly due to hardening fuel and vegetable prices. WPI Inflation stood at 3.59 per cent during the previous month and 1.82 per cent during the corresponding month of the previous year.
Analysts polled by Reuters had predicted December's retail inflation rate would climb to 5.10%, the highest since July 2016, from 4.88% in November.
But clothing prices fell for the fourth consecutive month, and airline fares fell 0.5% after a 2.4% drop in November.More news: Westbrook Still Trailing In All-Star Vote After Second Returns
Retail food prices rose by 4.96% in December 2017 as compared to 4.35% in November. It raised rates three times a year ago.
However, economists believe the central bank may be forced to accelerate that pace if there are hints that inflation is beginning to rise more rapidly, given that unemployment continues to hover at 17-year lows. He said he expected the next rate hike to occur in March with a total of four hikes this year.
Petrol prices declined after a big jump in the previous month, outweighing the rise in winter fuel oil prices as a cold snap hit the Northeastern US, the report said.More news: Merkel entering final stage of make-or-break talks
Factory output growth in October was at 2.2% while CPI was at 5.2 per cent from 4.88 per cent a month ago.
Shelter costs rose 0.4% in the month, while medical care increased 0.3% and food was up 0.2%.
Retail inflation crossed the Reserve Bank of India's comfort level and rose to 5.21 per cent in December on rise in the prices of food items, egg and vegetables, dashing hopes of interest rate cut in the near future. Clothing costs are one key sector bucking the trend of higher prices.More news: Future Samsung phones will have a feature, which iPhone users can not access!
- Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers — AFC Divisional Sunday
- All jewels stolen in brazen Paris Ritz robbery recovered
- Samsung will show the Galaxy S9 at MWC next month
- Seal slams Oprah Winfrey for this reason
- Father invites 14-year-old daughter's bullies to her funeral
- Bell says he'd consider retirement if tagged again
- Infosys posts better-than-expected Q3 profit on tax deal
- The Russo Brothers Reveal 'Avengers 4' Has Wrapped Filming
- Sweet Home Alabama: Toyota And Mazda Building New $1.6 Billion Plant
- Make Or Break Search For MH370