Chelsea were in a position where they wanted to get a good fee for the 29-year-old, but it was quite clear that Costa wanted to return to Atletico Madrid and they knew he wasn't going to play again for Chelsea, seemingly driving his price down.
'I couldn't ask for more from my second debut.More news: Number of people attending stop smoking program rises amid high cigarette prices
Having been forced by a Federation Internationale de Football Association transfer ban to sit out the first half of the season following his €66 million return from Chelsea last summer, Costa entered early in the second half and within five minutes had finished smartly at the near post from Juanfran's cross.
'It is great for me to play for Atletico Madrid again, the club are very important to me and I am very happy with this.
Costa appeared to have injured himself stretching to score the goal, but was able to carry on and finish the game.More news: Run ends early again for Chiefs, Kareem Hunt
Vietto's move to the club reunites him with coach Marcelino Garcia, who was the boss during his last season at Villarreal, when he scored 20 goals and the forward admitted that Marcelino's presence had been a key factor in his decision.
Costa has had a frustrating few months in the wilderness due to Atletico's transfer ban which meant the Spaniard was unable to register for the La Liga outfit until January 1.
"If I start scoring goals and the team plays well, it will be easier for me to make Lopetegui's list", Costa said.More news: Portland General Electric (POR) Receiving Somewhat Positive Press Coverage, Analysis Shows
The second leg of the tie against third-tier club holds next Tuesday, with Atletico hosting Getafe in the league this Saturday.
- Alex Jones Launches Preemptive Strike Against Oprah 2020
- Disgraced Doctor James Kauffman Charged With Hiring Hitman To Kill His Wife
- Senate holds hearing on Cuba 'sonic attacks'
- Abe leaves for Baltic and E.European tour
- OR at No. 17 Arizona tops the Pac-12 this week
- Messi, Suarez score as Barcelona thrash Levante
- Enzo Amore Comments On Ronda Rousey To WWE Rumors
- Colorado Sheriff's Office Says 'Multiple Deputies Down' in Active Incident
- Property assessments show biggest gains in condo market
- Oprah for president? Winfrey fans urge White House run after #MeToo speech