Public service announcements played over an intercom thanking attendees for their patience while the work to resolve the issue continued.
In a statement, CES organiser, the Consumer Technology Association, blamed the outage on recent heavy rainfall which caused condensation on the venue's roof to short circuit one of the facility's transformers. Power was restored to the convention center after two hours.
CES 2018: Blackout in Vegas
A company with a smart sleep device called Aromarest began an email pitch by saying, "Having the lights go out, as they did today at CES, is one way to get some sleep".
Despite being a convention dedicated to incredible (and sometimes very bizarre) upcoming technology, the Consumer Electronics Show is subject to power loss like anything else. Intel had a tongue-in-cheek announcement for a product called "Blackout".
Regardless of the difficulties that the annual convention seems to be facing this year, companies and tech giants continue to be thrilled with the overall theme, with smart lights and speakers soaring to popularity.More news: NHS: Patients 'dying prematurely' in corridors, A&E bosses warn May
TV maker LG's OLED Canyon display demo, with 246 OLED panels and more than 30 high-definition generators, took almost an hour to get back in full operation.
Someone is having a bad day!
This year, the event officially ends on Friday January 12th, but experts already know their favorites and which products are the most promising.More news: Turkey warns its citizens against travelling in US
Whoa, I'm in a hotel on the other side of town from the LVCC and our power just flickered too. The blackout has impacted the convention center's North Hall, as well, leaving only the South Hall fully operational.
Others had humorous takes, with Intel's account calling it the "the biggest thing to hit CES since 5G".More news: Liverpool's Salah back in training ahead of Manchester City clash
- Westbrook Still Trailing In All-Star Vote After Second Returns
- Samsung will show the Galaxy S9 at MWC next month
- Merkel entering final stage of make-or-break talks
- Bell says he'd consider retirement if tagged again
- Baltimore Hospital 'Takes Responsibility' For Woman Left Outside In Cold
- Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers — AFC Divisional Sunday
- All jewels stolen in brazen Paris Ritz robbery recovered
- Infosys posts better-than-expected Q3 profit on tax deal
- Fiat Chrysler to give United States workers US$2000 bonuses amid tax cuts
- Watch the Nintendo Direct Mini here; All of announcements listed