"Given the importance of cameras as sensors for autonomous driving, we considered many aspects in our selection process for the Apollo platform including product roadmap, experience in automotive, and technical support for ecosystem platforms", said Mr. Zhenyu Li, VP and General Manager of Intelligent Driving Group at Baidu.
The two companies said they had signed a letter of intent to make Blackberry's QNX automotive operating system the foundation for Baidu's open platform for autonomous driving. BlackBerry will get to take advantage of Baidu's CarLife smartphone integration and its conversational artificial intelligence, DuerOS.More news: Kelly Clarkson Accused Of Abuse For Spanking Children
"By integrating the BlackBerry QNX OS with the Apollo platform, we will enable carmakers to leap from prototype to production systems", he said.
BlackBerry (TSX:BB) - which has been repositioning itself as a cybersecurity, software and intellectual property supplier - is also working with numerous automotive industry's major chip makers and parts suppliers.
CEO John Chen said last month after announcing the company's third-quarter results that BlackBerry is making good progress towards being a key software supplier for autonomous vehicles.More news: Amazon May Buy Target In 2018
As the companies note in their press release, Apollo has attracted more than 70 partners worldwide, including equipment manufacturers, top automakers, developer platforms and tech startups.
The partnership also includes integrating BlackBerry's more established in-car entertainment software into Apollo. BlackBerry has recently concentrated on the software to run sophisticated computer chips for autos that manage multiple safety critical systems. ON Semiconductor operates a responsive, reliable, world-class supply chain and quality program, a robust compliance and ethics program, and a network of manufacturing facilities, sales offices and design centers in key markets throughout North America, Europe and the Asia Pacific regions. Baidu's ADSs trade on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol "BIDU".
The news sent the BlackBerry share price 13% up to a 4-year high. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.More news: Israel, US back Iran riots: Turkish FM
- Australia announce Chris Lynn's replacement for ODI series against England
- Indian origin man in United States faces deportation for reportedly cheating authorities
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Modder Adds Pink Darth Vader
- Lalu's sentencing postponed to Thursday, fresh trouble for Tejashwi
- NM state lawmaker seeks to block border wall
- Uganda Denies Accepting Migrants From Israel
- French president proposes law against 'fake news'
- Justin Bieber & Selena Gomez Apart on Christmas, But Together for New Year's
- 2017 goes down as costliest year ever for natural disasters in US
- OnePlus 5T 'Lava Red' edition launched in India