While some have suggested the 29-year-old takes too many risks to be selected in the Test side, he seemed to be a fixture in the Aussie ODI outfit.
Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell has endured a tumultuous week, but here's why I think he's been given the short end of the stick. With Lynn's calf injury, Maxwell's comeback was much anticipated but the selectors shut all the doors by preferring White over Glenn. Maxwell has been in great form lately in all formats.
But Hohns last week said Maxwell's recent ODI output had been unsatisfactory, while Australian skipper Steve Smith pointedly called on the allrounder to "train a little bit smarter".More news: 2017 goes down as costliest year ever for natural disasters in US
Maxwell denied rumours of a rift.
The selectors, led by Trevor Hohns, also made a decision to rest paceman Josh Hazlewood from the opening ODI while fellow pacer Pat Cummins will skip the second game as Australia look to manage the workload of their fast bowlers ahead of the Test tour of South Africa.
"In the back of my mind I never really gave up all hope". You'd have to ask the selectors, I couldn't tell you.
Commenting on his selection, Hohns said: "He's in very good form as his figures demonstrate, he's playing very well". "He ticks all the boxes for what we need at this stage".More news: Bon Jovi Announce Spring Tour Dates
The Victorian right-hander has been in outstanding limited-overs form with 285 runs at an average of 142.5 and a strike-rate of 115.85 for the Melbourne Renegades in the Big Bash League.
In the global arena, Neds have the Aussies at $1.38 to win the series, with England at the juicy odds of $3.10.
Australia will play five ODIs against England starting from the 14th of January.More news: Ford's hot rod SUV shows need for speed survives sedan slump
- Smith Sworn In as Minnesota's Newest US Senator
- OnePlus 5T 'Lava Red' edition launched in India
- Bear attacks man in Naples near high school
- Leishman grabs Hawaii lead with eight birdies
- Terror attacks in Pakistan keeps declining due to nationwide efforts
- Ibaka, Johnson each suspended one game for throwing punches
- Eric Hosmer has a $147 million offer from the Royals
- Kelly Clarkson Accused Of Abuse For Spanking Children
- Syrian militants in counteroffensive in Idlib
- Lalu's sentencing postponed to Thursday, fresh trouble for Tejashwi