Helicopters are transporting people to and from the mountain, though no evacuation order has been announced.
In the Swiss resort of Zermatt, 13,000 holidaymakers have been left stranded.
A police official in Zermatt, a tourist magnet for backpackers and millionaires alike, said the helicopter journey to the village of Taesch takes around three minutes.More news: Enzo Amore Comments On Ronda Rousey To WWE Rumors
The avalanche risk has been raised to the maximum level of five on the avalanche warning scale, the highest it's been for almost 10 years.
"There is nothing to panic about, everything is fine", Janine Imesch of the Zermatt tourism office told CBS News on Tuesday. Dominic Steinmann, Keystone, via AP Viktor Perren, in a helicopter of Air Zermatt throws an explosive material out of the window to artificially blow up avalanches at the skiing resort "Sunnegga" which is part of "Matterhorn Glacier Paradise" in Zermatt, Switzerland, on January 10 2018.
"No one can go skiing or hiking, but it's quiet, a little bit romantic", said Imesch. Due to heavy snowfall in the region interrupted by road and rail.More news: Radon can pose serious health risks, test your home now
Area roads were closed Monday morning and train services were canceled Monday night.
An avalanche hit a five-storey building in Sestrieres, in the Italian Alps, late on Monday, but the 29 people staying in the building escaped without injury, fleeing through the garage.
More snow is forecast, but authorities are expecting conditions to improve in the coming days.
British snowboarder John Bromell, of Lincolnshire, is still missing after he was last seen heading to the slopes in the French ski resort of Tignes on Sunday.More news: LSU RB Derrius Guice announces he's leaving early, declares for NFL Draft
- Abe leaves for Baltic and E.European tour
- Messi, Suarez score as Barcelona thrash Levante
- Iran holds out hope for survivors on burning oil tanker
- Property assessments show biggest gains in condo market
- Number of people attending stop smoking program rises amid high cigarette prices
- Wind and winter weather in store for Thursday
- Oprah for president? Winfrey fans urge White House run after #MeToo speech
- European Union needs united approach on foreign investment to gain China's respect - Macron
- Alex Jones Launches Preemptive Strike Against Oprah 2020
- Chris Hemsworth 'throwing ideas around' for Thor 4