Some Democratic House members are planning to invite victims of sexual assault to President Donald Trump's State of the Union address later this month to highlight the issue, according to an aide to a lawmaker who has been a prominent voice on sexual misconduct. Last year, female Democrats chose to wear white in support of women's rights, when President Trump spoke to a joint session of Congress for the first time.More news: Oprah to run for President in 2020? Everything you need to know
Democratic Rep. Jackie Speier told NBC News that the women of the Democratic Women's Working Group had expressed their support for the initiative and wanted to make a statement. Several members have been forced to resign recently, including senator Al Franken and longtime congressman John Conyers, after being accused of misconduct. The White House has maintained that the women are lying.More news: Giant Announces Recall of Ice Cream Bars
Capitol Hill also was inundated late past year with allegations of sexual harassment by lawmakers and senior aides, prompting a debate over how best to hold offenders accountable.
Speier urged on Twitter that members of Congress from both parties join her protest and show "solidarity w/ survivors of sexual harassment/violence in Hollywood, politics, the military, academia, etc".More news: Russia, Iran say to adhere to nuclear deal
Trump, too, is famously implicated in the debate over sexual harassment since facing allegations of misconduct from more than a dozen women during the 2016 election. Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Texas, announced he would not run for re-election after his current term after news broke the congressman had paid $84,000 to settle a sexual harassment case against him. Spokesmen for Trump have said the claims are false.
- Mobile's aggressive new smartphone promo includes high-profile iPhone X
- Jay Bruce reportedly gets 3-year, $39 million deal from Mets
- U.S. advises citizens not to travel to Afghanistan
- Cleveland Cavaliers could face pressure to re-sign Isaiah Thomas in 2018
- North Carolina Must Redraw Its Congressional Map After Gerrymandering
- Dish is getting Google Assistant voice control soon
- Curry out Wednesday with sprained right ankle, three other starters to sit
- Confirmed: Black Widow movie finally happening
- Pakistan mob angered by rape, murder of girl attacks…
- Millions worth of jewelry looted in Paris hotel robbery