The National Weather Service's Morristown weather forecast office is now predicting an 80 percent chance of rain transitioning to snow Friday night and a 50 percent chance of snow on Saturday.
The Weather Service warned that the Thursday morning commute may be particularly hard.
Rawlins says some rain is possible on Tuesday evening before the colder air arrives, but expects a quick changeover from rain to all snow.More news: IPhone battery catches fire in Zurich store: Apple Genius suffers burns
Duluth in Minnesota, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Des Moines in Iowa, and Omaha in Nebraska will also be hit with rain Thursday, while the storm's second phase will bring light snow into MI by Thursday night before heading into the Tennessee Valley, eastern Great Lakes, and Ohio Valley.
"For 8" of snow there is a slight risk for Louisville with a moderate risk just north of Louisville.
NY and other east coast cities will likely be spared the worst of the storm, based on current modeling.More news: CES 2018: Vivo Demonstrates In-Display Fingerprint Scanning Technology
The winter storm that triggered deadly mudslides in California dumped more than a foot of snow and an inch of heavy rain on the Sierra Nevada.
Another 1-2 inches of snow is possible on Friday.
A high wind warning was issued beginning at 6 a.m. Tuesday. The deformation band moves across the area Friday night with 3-6 inches or more.More news: Man takes poison at BJP office, dies
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY is in effect until 10 am in many counties across northern Montana. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9. Blowing snow and blizzard conditions possible in these areas. The chance is lower from Huntsville southeast, but it's certainly not zero; we won't "know" until about 12-18 hours ahead of the event. The sleet goes to snow with about 2-4 or so for Louisville and higher amounts along the I-75 corridor.
- Overwatch League Inaugural Season Begins Today
- Target (TGT) Upgraded to Positive by UBS Group
- Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell fired, reports say
- Sets 'Record Straight' Following Catt Sadler's Claims Of Wage Disparity
- Lenovo mixes smartphone features into its all-day Miix 630
- Alabama WR Calvin Ridley to enter National Football League draft
- Divided US Supreme Court may allow OH voter purge policy
- Call of Duty: WWII's New Nazi Zombies Map Revealed in Latest Trailer
- How Many Healthcare Realty Trust Incorporated (NYSE:HR)'s Analysts Are Bearish?
- Flying Philander leads Proteas to first test victory over India