Tens of thousands of tourists and locals were stranded across the Alps today after "once-in-a-generation" weather that dumped nearly 7 feet of snow on some ski resorts in less than 48 hours.
About 13,000 holidaymakers in the Swiss resort of Zermatt have been left stranded as nearby roads, trains and cable cars into the town were closed over fears of avalanches in the region.
A police official in Zermatt, a tourist magnet for backpackers and millionaires alike, said the helicopter journey to the village of Taesch took abound three minutes.
13000 tourists stuck in Matterhorn town amid avalanche risk
Bulldozers were plowing through the snowdrifts in Zermatt so that streets could be salted.
Visitors have been stuck in the mountain resort for two days after snow blocked road and rail links.
The extreme conditions in the region come as one avalanche ploughed into a building and others forced roads to close in nearby northern Italy. The latest announcement on Zermatt's website states that the road between Zermatt and Täsch has been re-opened, with continued work being done to clear railway lines between Täsch and Zermatt and Täsch and Visp.More news: No. 8 Texas Tech quite familiar with No. 9 Oklahoma's standout
She added: "The atmosphere in the village is relaxed and comfortable".
Guests at the Zermatt resort, near the Italian border, were being airlifted by helicopter after the snow closed mountain lifts, ski runs, walking paths and train services to the village.
"It surprised us a bit this year and we're trying to make the best of it", Biner said.More news: New Dell PCs Will Sync Messages, Calls With iPhone and Android
The avalanche risk is set at the rarely used maximum on a five-point scale.
While warmer temps have been experienced across lowland Switzerland recently, heavy snowfall above 1,400 meters brought a high avalanche risk to much of southwestern part of the country, including Saas-Fee, a neighboring resort to Zermatt.
Authorities said conditions were expected to improve Wednesday.More news: Nokia 6 Smartphone Gets Android 8.0 Oreo Update
- Ball Brothers Put On A Show In Lithuanian Debut
- Motorola presents new mod to check vital signs
- Google Assistant Now Supports Over 1 Million Actions
- China Says 32 People, Mostly Iranians, Missing After Oil Tanker Collision
- Australia close on victory in Sydney test
- Winfrey won't mount presidential run
- Cam Newton Famous CTE Expert Calls BS ... That's a Concussion
- Metal Gear Survive Single Player Trailer Released
- Australia had third-warmest year on record in 2017
- Microsoft and Qualcomm partner to boost Cortana adoption