"In the development of any addictive behavior, the move from experimentation to daily practice is an important landmark, as it implies that a recreational activity is turning into a compulsive need", he said in a statement.
They said that the study, published in the journal Nicotine And Tobacco Research, provides support for reducing cigarette experimentation among teenagers.
Just 1 Cigarette can trigger smoking addiction, says study
Anti-smoking campaigners say the findings lend weight to a campaign to licence tobacco retailers and put cigarettes on a par with alcohol.
For example, among the eight surveys, each revealed different percentages for those who became daily smokers, ranging from 52 percent in the U.S.to 82 percent in the United Kingdom, meaning the two-thirds estimate was a weighted average, not a standard proportion.
The data in current survey was collected from the UK, US, Australia and New Zealand.More news: Ant-Man's Michael Douglas Involved With Sexual Harassment Claims
After crunching the numbers even further, Hajek's team also uncovered that 60.3 percent of all interviewed individuals already tried their first cigarette and 68.3 percent of have begun smoking on a daily basis.
The researchers note that, The different surveys used different methodologies and yielded different results, so the estimated 68.9 percent "conversion rate" from experimentation to daily smoking has a margin of error (between 60.9 and 76.9 percent). As per the new research, those who consume one cigarette daily can develop a habit of chain smokers, and it can happen with more than two-thirds of people who use one cigarette in a day.
New study points out that the difference between a non-smoker and daily smoker is one cigarette.More news: Guardiola stresses importance of EFL Cup win
Can One Cigarette Really Turn You into a Daily Smoker? She said, "The government is refusing to introduce licensing for tobacco retailers, even though there is strong support for this both from the public and retailers".
Northern Ireland has the highest proportion of adults who smoke with 18.1% being smokers, this compares to 15.5% of adults in England, 16.9% in Wales and 17.7% in Scotland.More news: Agency says it will hold 'parties accountable' for JFK airport flood
- LG 65-Inch UHD Rollable OLED, 88-Inch 8K OLED Display Showcased
- French actress defends men's 'right to hit on' women
- Interior Secretary Zinke: Florida Offshore Oil Drilling Is 'Off The Table'
- Zuma appoints commission of inquiry into state capture
- Arab League Drafts Response To Trump's Jerusalem Decision
- The Weeknd distances himself from H&M after monkey sweatshirt row
- Tesla finally begins production of its high-tech solar roofs
- Trailer video spoils the main event match for WWE Fastlane
- Ex-engineer sues Google for discriminating against conservative white males
- SanDisk unveils world's smallest 1TB USB flash drive at CES 2018