Nigeria on Tuesday commenced a three-day mourning ahead of the mass burial of 71 people killed in violence allegedly perpetrated by herdsmen in the north-central state of Benue.
On Monday, President Buhari ordered the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris to move into the state and stop the escalation of the crisis.
Terve Akase, chief press secretary to the governor of Benue state, said the killings occurred between December 31, 2017 and January 6, 2018.More news: FA to adopt Rooney Rule in appointing future England managers
More than 40 people have been killed by suspected herdsmen in Benue in 2018 alone. The full weight of the law will be applied on anyone arrested for being responsible for the mayhem in the affected areas in the State.
"The commitment of the Nigeria Police Force to ensure Law and order and protection of lives and property of all Nigerians throughout the Country remains unequivocal and unwavering", Moshood said. General Abdulrahman Dambazau, on Monday, a strategy to check the blood spilling between herdsmen and farmers was worked out. "Who is now safe?", Ortom asked.
Out of 36 states, armed military troops have been deployed in 30 states to address insecurity.More news: Guangzhou Evergrande offer Real Madrid £84m for Gareth Bale
In a statement, the Nigerian leader said he was prepared to permit every possible step that can lead to the stoppage of the killings.
Before the meeting went behind closed doors, the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, said the Federal Government was planning "cattle colonies" as part of efforts to tackle the problem.
Mr. Buhari has been accused of condoning the killings by Fulani herdsmen because of his ethnicity. "We are not aware that AK 47 is what they are now using to train their cows and other animals".More news: Securities Analyst Recommendations: Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO), Sealed Air Corporation
He said although he had briefed the president on the telephone immediately the incident took place, he felt there was the need for him to meet Buhari personally after he had succeeded in restoring normalcy to a level.
- Molson Coors snaps up Aspall Cyder in UK
- Hands-On With Harman's And JBL's Audio Products - CES 2018
- Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie avoid awkward run in
- President Donald Trump arrives at 2018 national championship
- Alabama RB Bo Scarbrough denies yelling 'F
- Breaking down Alabama's most crucial TD of the championship game
- Summit Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE:SMLP)
- Reggie Lynch Found Responsible for Second Sexual Assault, Still Practicing With Minnesota
- Chucky's Back! Raiders Officially Hire Jon Gruden as Head Coach
- Who Is Tua Tagovailoa? Get to Know Alabama's True Freshman Backup QB