The nomination of AAP's Rajya Sabha candidate, Narain Dass Gupta, was accepted on Monday after the returning officer found Delhi Congress' objection "not valid".
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) candidates Sanjay Singh, Sushil Gupta and ND Gupta, whose names were made a decision to be sent to the Rajya Sabha on January 3, have been elected unopposed to the Upper House from Delhi.
The opposition parties did not nominate any candidate for the seat as the AAP enjoys a brute majority in the 70-member Delhi Assembly. Delhi Congress Chief Ajay Maken said in a tweet.More news: Delta state election: Gov. Okowa expresses satisfaction, as APC rejects polls
In his response to the returning officer's notice on Mr Maken's objections, Mr Gupta said he was appointed as a trustee of the NPS on March 30 past year but he resigned from the trust on December 29, way before the filing of his nomination. The nominations of the other two candidates fielded by AAP - Sanjay Singh and Sushil Gupta - were approved on Saturday.
The Returning Officer had put Gupta's nomination on hold on Saturday after the Congress demanded that his candidature be rejected as he holds an office of profit.
The Congress first stated that he was appointed a Trustee of the National Pension Scheme (NPS) Trust on March 30, 2015.More news: New Sony AF8 4K OLED TVs Announced At CES
During the hearing of the matter, the returning officer observed that Gupta was chairman of the Trust as per internal arrangement and not as an independent office bearer and hence was not ineligible for contesting Rajya Sabha election. However, the complaint was quashed by Returning Officer Nidhi Srivastava.
Maken also alleged that Gupta held the office of the chairman of the Audit Committee of the National Pension System Trust.
However, AAP leader Sanjay Singh termed the complaint as a "cheap publicity stunt".More news: France Gall, French pop singer and Eurovision victor , dies at 70
- Intel boss sold $25m in shares before chip security flaw disclosure
- Here comes faster 802.11ax Wi-Fi
- Southampton confirm interest in Arsenal star
- Apple's iPhone SE 2 Could Offer Wireless Charging
- Tom Hanks Tormented Meryl Streep With Martinis During the Golden Globes
- 'Total Dhamaal' begins today; Aamir Khan did the Mahurat clap!
- Will Aishwarya Rai Bachchan pay tribute to Lata Mangeshkar in 'Fanne Khan'?
- Newcastle United release official statement on Peter Beardsley situation
- Five dead in California mudslides, Associated Press reports
- Donald Glover on How 'Atlanta' Season 2 Is Like 'Tiny Toon Adventures'