Toyota's battery needs are likely to increase after it said past year it would add fully electric vehicles to its product line-up in the early 2020s, expanding a green-car strategy which has focused on plug-in hybrid and fuel-cell vehicles (FCV).More news: Ozil volley gives Arsenal 1-0 win over Newcastle
He said Toyota would introduce pure-battery models initially in China, followed by Japan, India, the USA and Europe.
Last week Toyota revealed it was planning a tie-up with electronics maker Panasonic to set key standards for the batteries used in electric vehicles. Terashi stressed the deal with Panasonic is "a crucial piece" in Toyota's strategy, and that it wanted to promote a Japanese partnership. Toyota says energy density, weight, packaging and costs are all being addressed at the moment, with plans to commercialise solid-state battery technology by the "early 2020s".More news: Pixel 2 XL Fingerprint Issues Reported After Android 8.1 Oreo Update
Toyota has already announced plans for cooperation with compatriot Suzuki Motor Corporation to introduce electric vehicles (EVs) in India by 2020.
The announcement by the two companies came at a time when the Indian government is pushing for electric vehicles, setting a target of an all electric fleet by 2030. Toyota sells about 10 million vehicles globally a year.
China, the United States and a growing number of other countries are forcing automakers to make low-emissions cars, spurring competition to develop EVs even as battery-operated cars now comprise just a sliver of the global market.More news: Hennessy Advisors Inc. Sells 3660 Shares of International Business Machines Corporation (IBM)
- Walt Disney Co (NYSE:DIS) Shares Sold by Cim LLC
- BJP to fight Karnataka polls under Yeddyurappa: Rajnath
- Donald Trump thanks Russia's Vladimir Putin for praising American economy
- Sarah Palin's Son Track Arrested For Domestic Violence, 2nd Time Since 2016
- Texas 7-year-old's heartbreaking letter to Santa inspires flood of donations
- First Warning Forecast: Increasing clouds and seasonable temperatures
- Bitcoin starts trading on world's largest futures exchange, CME
- Bank of America Corporation (BAC) EPS Estimated At $0.47
- Aconex shares jump 44% on Oracle takeover bid
- Police Probe Deaths of Canadian Billionaire and Wife