The statement reads: "the ECA I have always maintained is an illegal account and I instituted a court action against it during then Jonathan administration".
"Where the Governors have made a decision to "donate" some of their funds from the ECA to fight Boko Haram, their state assemblies can kick against it that such was not appropriated by them".
"The National Assembly only has the power of appropriation over monies belonging to the federal government".
The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, who briefed State House correspondents after the meeting, said the approval was announced during the 83rd NEC meeting by the Chairman of Nigerian Governors' Forum (NGF) and Governor of Zamfara State, Abdulaziz Yari.More news: Google updates guidelines to purge news that hide country of origin
NGF justified the $1 billion grant as sign of synergy between the governors and the Presidency in the fight against insurgency, "which ought not to be politicised".
"You can never spend too much on security because the safety of lives and property are the most cardinal among all the principles of governance, in any democracy", Yari said.
"This same lack of unity between governors and the presidency had brought about poor governance in the past, throughout the country and now that we are working together no one should constitute a wedge in the process".
"Niger Delta environmental problems are as serious as the Boko Haram insurgency".More news: European Union opens probe into Ikea over Dutch tax rulings
Also speaking at the briefing, Gombe State governor, Ibrahim Dankwambo gave updates on the forensic audit report on government revenue generating agencies, the Natural Resource Development Fund Account and the Budget Support Facility among others as presented to the council by the Accountant General of the Federation, Ahmed Idris.
"The ECA does not belong to the Federal Government but to the three tiers of government".
"The APC promised to wipe out Boko Haram within six months, now it is 31 months and what the APC government is wiping out is the economy of Nigeria and the means of livelihood of the people".
Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, has called on the Federal Government to, as a matter of urgency, release funds for tackling of issues of environmental degradation and security in the Niger Delta.More news: McKellen wants to play Gandalf in Lord of the Rings TV show
- Yannick Bolasie eyeing Everton return against Swansea after a year on sidelines
- 12 people burned to death in fire break out
- UN Security Council to meet on US Jerusalem decision
- Xiaomi Mi A1 Special Edition Red variant launched in India
- Romelu Lukaku Out To Put Together Scoring Run For Jose Mourinho
- AE reform's 'lethargic' pace to create 'lost generation' - Steve Webb
- United States blaming Pakistan for failures in Afghanistan: Janjua
- Amazon Prime could face investigation over delivery complaints
- Microsoft Surprises Nine-year-old Who Gave Up Xbox To Donate Blankets
- Couple Spotted Enjoying Date Night in Seattle