The newspaper attributed the creation of the program to Nevada senator Harry Reid, who led the Democratic faction in the upper chamber for 12 years from 2005 until January, when he retired from Congress.
The New York Times reported on Saturday that the hush-hush program, tasked with investigating sightings of unidentified flying objects, or UFOs, ran from 2007 to 2012 with $22 million in annual funding secretly tucked away in U.S. Defense Department budgets worth hundreds of billions of dollars.
Twitter Goes Nuts Over Pentagon's Secret UFO Program: 'I Want to Believe'
In the beginning years of the the program, the Pentagon gave most of the appropriated $22 million to an aerospace company owned by Robert Bigelow, a billionaire businessman who is "absolutely convinced" that aliens exist.
Much of the money spent on the Pentagon's UFO programme went to an aerospace firm owned by USA billionaire Robert Bigelow.
The program documented sightings of fast-moving aircraft and close encounters between USA military planes and UFOs.More news: Ramos 'feeling much better' and ready for Club World Cup final
"We were trying to take the voodoo out of voodoo science", Elizondo told Politico.
The Times noted that the defence department had never before acknowledged the existence of the programme, but officials now say it was shut down in 2012.
Reid, for his part, expressed pride in the program, stating that he's "not embarrassed or ashamed or sorry I got this thing going" and he thinks "it's one of the good things I did in my congressional service".More news: Injuries hit West Indies ahead of limited-overs series against Black Caps
Shortly after his meeting with Bigelow, Reid met with officials, who were also interested in establishing a UFO investigation program.
But as to whether the Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program has continued to investigate UFO sightings since its funding ended five years ago could rank as an unexplained phenomenon. "I've done something that no one has done before", Reid said.More news: Jose Mourinho Hints At Manchester United January Exits
- Ares Cap Corp (ARCC) Position Boosted by Rivernorth Capital Management Llc
- Ethics opens probe of Nevada Dem facing misconduct claims
- McQuaid: Froome's adverse drugs test a 'disaster' for cycling
- Dodgers acquire Matt Kemp in multi-player trade with Braves
- Austria forms government coalition with far-right party
- Antonio Conte praises Virgil van Dijk after Chelsea's win over Southampton
- Trump thanks Omarosa, "Apprentice" star escorted from White House in dramatic departure
- Dustin Hoffman accused of exposing himself to daughter's teenage friend in 1980
- Lin-Manuel Miranda announces new Hamilton song
- Imperial Capital Finally Upgrades Delta Airlines (NYSE:DAL) Stock