Now that Google has shifted its focus on ARCore, we expect many more Android devices to support augmented reality next year.More news: MGIC Investment Corporation (MTG) EPS Estimated At $0.28
According to TechCrunch, Tango support will cease March 1, 2018.
When Google officially unleashed it new ARCore to developers in August, it was likely only a matter of time before the tech giant would be waltzing on from Tango. Also, when we talk about Project Tango, some of the names that come to our mind are Lenovo Phab2 Pro and ASUS ZenFone AR. "Whereas Tango required special hardware, ARCore is a fast, performant, Android-scale SDK that enables high-quality augmented reality across millions of qualified mobile devices".
The first Project Tango-built phone, Lenovo's Phab 2 Pro, debuted in 2016.More news: Tillerson calls on China, Russia to increase North Korea pressure
We assume at some point when camera-based approaches reach their limit and sensors become small and cheap enough direct measurement of the environment will return, but in the meantime, it appears camera approximations and really smart software will have to do.
"Thank you to our incredible community of developers who made such progress with Tango over the last three years", said Google. And alongside, the company brought in AR features to smartphones with just the hardware that is already in the device. But Google clearly wants to make those experiences available to more users, which means moving on from Tango. If you own the Pixel 2 or the Pixel 2 XL, you can give them a try.More news: Beijing 'continues building on S. China Sea isles'
- Import tax on some electrical, electronics items raised
- Tillerson retreats on offer of unconditional N. Korea talks
- US Shale Surge Drives up Global Oil Supply
- FDL County Law Enforcement join 'Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over' initiative
- Islamic leaders urge East Jerusalem recognition as 'Palestine's capital'
- "Sheep" in Nativity scene steals Baby Jesus in cute Christmas play
- Find your new tax brackets under the final GOP tax plan
- Sells 11128 Shares of Alaska Air Group, Inc. (ALK)
- BP takes $200mn, 43% stake in Europe's biggest solar company Lightsource
- Contestant's family forced to flee Iraq after receiving death threats