The taxi app failed to respond to requests from Sheffield City Council about the management of the firm, the council said. The reason why Uber's license was suspended is because of a dispute surrounding the company failing to change the name on the license from that of the former United Kingdom boss Jo Bertram.
Uber (Private:UBER) lost its license in Sheffield, a city in northern England, after failing to respond to regulator requests concerning its taxi app.
It is understood that Uber was already applying for a new licence instead under the name Uber Britannia Limited and that is being considered.More news: Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Given Media Impact Rating of 0.10
If Uber decides not to appeal, its licence will be formally suspended. Uber previously reached out to Sheffield city council on October 5 letting them know that they needed to change the name on the license because the individual would soon be leaving the company. While the council has therefore suspended the current licence on our application for a new licence continues to be processed.
Uber said it submitted an application for a new licence on October 16 which continues to be processed by local officials. While we are in regular contact with the council, we did not receive the correspondence the council refers to as they sent the letters to an incorrect address.
The app will submit an appeal if the new application cannot be resolved by December 18 so its drivers can continue to take passengers, the spokesman said.More news: Labor ready to claim Townsville, giving the party 48 seats
"We hope our application for a new licence will be resolved before December 19 so that we can continue serving tens of thousands of riders and drivers in Sheffield".
Sheffield is the second British city to take action against Uber after the firm was stripped of its licence in London back in September.
It has been allowed to keep operating in London for the duration of the legal process, after Uber lodged an appeal against the decision in October.More news: Bayonetta 3 Announced As A Nintendo Switch Exclusive
- Seattle NHL Expansion Application Approved by NHL, Can Start Season Ticket Drive
- Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX) EVP Sells $260400.00 in Stock
- Palestine, Egypt confer after U.S. decision on Jerusalem
- THQ Nordic's Next Title Leaks Ahead of The Game Awards 2017
- Which Way Are Insiders Leaning With Brandywine Realty Trust (NYSE:BDN)?
- Amicus Therapeutics (FOLD) Given Daily Coverage Optimism Score of
- Sessions spars with interns over marijuana policy, police brutality
- Increase in accidental deaths follows spike in gun sales, study finds
- New Fortnite Battle Royale Mode Available Now For A Limited Time
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM) Stake Raised by NewSquare Capital LLC