That's down more than $4 billion from March 2017, when he was worth $5.6 billion.
"The resignation of Markus Jooste, Chief Executive Officer of Steinhoff International Holdings NV, and the announcement that "accounting irregularities" would require investigation, may be one of the biggest corporate scandals ever in South Africa", DA shadow minister of finance David Maynier said in a statement.
Jooste has apologised to the retail giant's staff.More news: Bezel-less Sony Xperia Photos Leak Online
Steinhoff's shares fell by another 40 percent on Friday after Moody's cut its credit rating and raised concerns about the company's governance, deepening the South African retailer's problems and investor losses.
Steinhoff's share price has been decimated by the announcement‚ which follows weeks after German authorities announced an investigation into accounting fraud at the firm.
"Should further details of the accounting irregularities put additional pressure on Steinhoff's financial condition, this could lead to further downward pressure on the ratings", the ratings agency said in its note.More news: Man Utd will miss banned Paul Pogba this weekend
This is over and above an internal investigation by the JSE to probe the extent of the accounting irregularities at Steinhoff. "South African legislation allows for appropriate action against any person who has not exercised his or her fiduciary responsibility to shareholders, some of whom are institutional and retirement funds", Treasury said.
"The minister expects that this report will give assurances that the interests of the shareholders are protected, including their retirement and savings funds", said Gigaba.
The Public Service Association (PSA) has called for the safeguarding of public servants' pension investments after the dramatic crash of retailer Steinhoff‚ which had lost R194-billion of its total market value by close of trading on Thursday.More news: Eminem Reveals "Revival" Album Art
Meanwhile, lobby groups like the Business Leadership South Africa and the Black Business Council have all condemned Steinhoff's alleged "unethical and corrupt behaviour".
- Border Protection Grid To Be Set Up In Border States: Rajnath Singh
- Noteworthy Buzzers: WPCS International Incorporated (WPCS), Vornado Realty Trust (VNO)
- Marvel Releasing An Animated Film Featuring Diverse Superheroes
- Colon, breast, ovarian cancer survival rates lower in blacks than whites
- Man rescued after cementing microwave to his head
- New Mexico school shooting leaves two students dead
- NVIDIA introduces its most powerful GPU - Titan V
- Cyclone Ockhi: 150 Tamil Nadu And Kerala Fishermen Safe In Lakshadweep
- Get Rs 21000 Off On Google Pixel 2 Smartphone
- Maharashtra: Arrested brothel owner confesses to killing husband